Books on Hertfordshire
History of Hemel Hempstead
edited by Susan Yaxley
Hemel Hempstead, 1973
300 pages, 23 illustrations, 12 maps/plans
The above 19th century view shows the lower end of the High Street.
[Today the house on the right still stands, the house in the distance was rebuilt in 1882 as Lloyds Band (now closed), the houses un the middle were replaced by mock Tudor shops in the early 20th century with the fire station (now a shop) on the open space next door. The road in the foreground was renamed Queensway when the New Town was created.]
This book was written by members of the Hemel Hempstead Local History and Records Society and provides a good introduction to the history of the town. There are quite a few names mentioned and there is a good index.
Topography and Settlement
Roman Settlement in the Hemel Hempstead Area
The Medieval Period
The Sixteenth Century & The Manor in the following two centuries
Hemel Hempstead and its People in the 17th & 18th centuries
Hemel Hempstead in the Nineteenth Century
The Twentieth Century - 1900-1918 - The Inter-War Years
The Bailiwick and the Market
The Administration of the Elizabethan Poor Law, 1601-1834
Boxmoor and its Trust - A 19th century Highwayman
Religion through the centuries
Postscript - The Coming of the New Town
Officers of Hemel Hempstead
The Growth of Hemel Hempstead
Derivations of some local place names
The book was reprinted as a paperback, with amendments in 1981.
There is a web page for Hemel Hempstead
At the time this page was last updated second hand copies could be ordered online.
Page updated April 2005