History of a Hertfordshire Village
by Sarah Brown
Bovingdon Parish Council, 2002
ISBN 09542368-0-7, 126 pages, many illustrations
This book is, in effect, a well organised and useful collection of historical facts about the parish and village, mainly relating to the 19th and 20th century. While some local historians might prefer the stepwise approach through the centuries the approach taken is much more useful (with its good index) for the family historian interested in people and places over the last 200 years.
The contents are organised under the following headings: Location; Archaeology of the Surrounding Area; Development of the Village; Manors; Granville Dudley Ryder; The Ryder Memorial; St Lawrence Church; Non-Conformist and Chapel Houses; Schools; High Street; Hempstead Road; Vicarage Lane; Chipperfield Road; Bovingdon Green; Lanes and Hamlets; Felden, Boxmoor and Bourne End; Sport and Entertainment; Aleshouses; Farms and Farming; Local Government; Poverty; Crime; Health; Roads and Motor Transport; Floods; War Time; The Airfield; Modern Developments; Sources; Index.
The book is published by the Bovingdon Parish Council, Memorial Hall, High Street, Bovingdon, nr Hemel Hempstead, HP3 0HJ and may be obtained from them and from several local shops.
The author, Sarah Brown used to runs a web site on Bovingdon History and Census Data and the transcripts of the 1841 and 1871 census have been transferred to this site.
At the time this page was last updated new copies could be ordered online
Page updated April 2005