A Pictorial History


Adrienne and Christopher Jaques

on behalf of the Rickmansworth Historical Society




ISBN 1-86077 027 4


Hardback,  20 pages text and 174 pictures

Sample Pictures


93  The Vine public house in Uxbridge Road, Mill End was opposite the Rose and Crown, at the bottom of Church Lane, and sold Watford Ales. On the other side of the main road was Horwood's; their sign advertising steam rollers for hire can be seen. The Ebenezer Chapel is in the background.

109  Methodist chapel and Pleasant Place Cottages, West Hyde. The cottages were probably built about 1783. The first dissenting meeting house in West Hyde dates from 1814 but this Methodist chapel was built in 1875 by Billy Saunders, the baker, in his front garden, Services were held there until 1912 when it became a fish and chip shop.


112   Rose Cottage, Herongate. In 1846 Feargus O'Connor began to construct this first Chartist settlement on the fields of Herongate Farm, providing small holdings, each with a two-storey house. Plot 26 was allocated to Martin Griffiths of Worcestershire. He was one of the original allottees and his family was one of very few to stay and farm the land successfully.

Locating Books
At the time this page was last updated copies were available online
January 2011   Significant update