Family trees - mainly prior 18th century

  • Backhouse & King

  • Brunskell

  • Kympton

  • Hayes

  • Pinnet

  • Thackeray & Webb

  • Moore

  • Dillingham

  • Cotterell

  • Grene

  • Goodyere or Goodere

  • Bellamy

  • Taylor, Palmer & Staunford

  • Gale

  • Tufnayle or Tufnell

  • Ince

  • Hopegood

  • Wilford

  • Pagitt


NOTE; At the time this book was written the parish was in Middlesex.


Monken Hadley

Frederick Charles Cass

Nichols & Sons, London


Frederick Cass also published The Parish of South Mimms (1877) and The Parish of East Barnet (1885-92), both of which are available on CD from ArchiveCDBooks.

This book provides a detailed and well research account of Monken Hadley, with source references as appropriate, and the detailed index makes up for the lack of proper chapter headings. There are many family trees but most end in the 17th century. In addition to the engravings shown here the are a number of coats of arms. Details are given of a number of wills and extracts from other documents are included.

The Cresset (beacon) on the tower is described as follows:

The cresset that surmounts the tower turret, and forms so distinguishing and well-known a feature of the church, may probably stand in the position of successor to some more ancient landmark, which, in a former age, crowned the elevated tableland on which the church stands. We know, at all events, that in the reign of Elizabeth, and subsequently, this locality bore the designation of Beacon's hill. During the great gale of 1 Jan. 1779 it was blown down, and on Monday, the 11 of the same month, a Vestry meeting was convened to consider about the repairs of the roof of the church, but there is no express mention of the beacon. The last occasion of its illumination was the night that followed. the Prince of Wales' marriage, 10 March 1863.

Respecting its origin n. nothing is certainly known, though it is natural to conjecture that a position so commanding might have been chosen either for arousing and conveying intelligence to the surrounding country, or with the object of guiding the steps of wayfarers through the adjacent forest.

This picture of the church of St Mary the Virgin shows how it was before the 1848 restoration. The book records:


Of the original church of Hadley, alluded to in bishop Foliot's deed, which it is likely was a mere chapel appertaining to the cell or hermitage, not a vestige remains, nor have we any clue to the changes which the fabric underwent between that period and the erection of the existing edifice in or about the year 1494. A small brass recording the decease of members of the family of Grene of Hayes, to which reference will hereafter be made, must have belonged to an older building. The present church, constructed of flint, with stone quoins and mullions, is in the form of a Latin cross, and consists of a square embattled tower, over which the ivy luxuriantly clusters, with a turret at the south-west angle, of a nave with two side aisles, north and south transepts, and a chancel. The area of the building was extended laterally in 1848 by throwing back the north and south walls of the aisles about eighteen inches in either direction. A vestry was added at the same time to the north east, in the angle formed by the chancel and the north transept. The south porch was rebuilt in 1855 by Dr. Proctor, then rector, to the memory of his only son the Rev. George Henry Proctor, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, one of the chaplains to the army in the Crimea, who died at Scutari, 10 March in that year.

The Priory still belongs to the family, now represented by Georgina Martha, wife of Capt. Nicholetts, R.N., and Catherine Harriet, wife of Col. A. R. Hoskins, R.A., daughters of the late Rev. George Baker Garrow, grandson of Mr. Edward Garrow, It traditionally connects the parish with Walden Abbey, and contains an upper chamber panelled throughout. The chimney-piece, elaborately carved in oak, exhibits episodes in the life of Our Lord in high relief, with detached figures of the evangelists. Round the cornice of the room are the signs of the zodiac. There is, unfortunately, no date. Early in the last century it was owned by the Chandlers, who had inherited from their relatives the Townsends, and was conveyed in February 1749, by Susanna Chandler, widow of Thomas Chandler, gentleman, to her brother, John Marlar, of Beddington, Surrey, calico printer, only son of Thomas Marlar, of the same. By Mr. John Marlar it was sold to the Rev. D. Garrow, having for several years previous to 1747 been tenanted by Col John Arnott, who succeeded his father, Sir David Arnott, as third baronet. He was a military officer of distinction and, at the time of his death in June 1750, held, in the rank of lieutenant-general, the appointment of adjutant-general of North Britain.

Locating Books
At the time this page was last updated second hand copies were available online.

It was also reprinted in 2008 and is available on CD by ArchiveCDbooks.


August 2010   Page Created