Schools and Education

Schools Cricket on Bernards Heath, St Albans

Herts Advertiser, 23rd August, 1862

School cricket was regularly played on Bernards Heath in the 1860's and some of the matches are reported in the paper - in some cases with the scores. Occasionally other sports results will be reported. Towards the end of the century football was covered in the winter.

CLAREMONT HOUSE SCHOOL v ST ALBANS GRAMMAR SCHOOL

The return match between ten young gentlemen of Claremont School, with Mr Nobbs, and eleven of the Grammar School was played on Bernards Heath, St Albans, on Wednesday afternoon last. The ground was in splendid order, the weather fine, and the play most exciting. The Claremont House school having won the toss elected to send the Grammar School to the wicket, who were quickly disposed of for 28 runs and 1 bye. The other side then handled the bat, and with some very good hitting headed their opponents by 31 runs. After a short interval the second innings commenced, when the Grammar School, making a total of 55, thus leaving the opposite side 25 to beat them - this they quickly accomplished with 7 wickets to spare, as the subjoined score will show.

GRAMMAR SCHOOL

H. Russell

b Mr Nobbs, 1

b Healey, 1

Murray

c & b ditto, 2

c Farr, 10

Debenham

b ditto, 9

run out, 2

H McKenzie

b ditto, 4

b Healey, 10

Mr Evans

b ditto, 3

l.b.w. 5

O Smith

c ditto, 1

c Mr Nobbs, 2

H Evans

c ditto, 0

not out 2

Vertue

b ditto, 2

b ditto, 0

K McKenzie

run out, 5

c Henson, 20

E Evans

run out, 0

c Mr Nobbs, 0

Lea

not out, 1

b ditto, 1

Byes, wides, &c

1

4

CLAREMONT HOUSE

Mr Nobbs

b Debenham, 28

c Smith, 5

G Lowthian

c Debenham, 0

c McKenzie, 0

Healey

c Lea, 6

not out, 10

Jackson

b K McKenzie, 2

not out, 2

Farr

b ditto, 12

b Debenham, 9

Henson

b Debenham, 2

 

Stapleton

b ditto, 1

 

Gape

b ditto, 0

 

Thompson

b K McKenzie, 1

 

Blakey

not out, 3

 

Gough

b K McKenzie, 0

 

Byes, wides, &c

5

7

For another cricket match involving Claremont House School see COLLINGWOOD, St Albans, mid-19th century