On Saturday 19th June 1909 the King presented the colours to twelve Yeomanry regiments and ninety-six infantry battalions of the newly formed Territorial Force at Windsor, including to the 1st Battalion of the Hertfordshire Regiment.
The are no clues on the post card as to where the photograph card was taken, but this was one of the few occasions where other ranks wore full dress, including the spiked helmet, before the outbreak of war in 1914. In addition the flag party is identical to the one in a photograph taken at Hertford Castle in June 1909 [The Hertfordshire Regiment].
1st Battalion the Hertfordshire Regiment, as set up in 1908
|A Company||Hertford, Watton, Little Berkhamsted|
|B Company||St Albans|
|C Company Detachments||Bishop'd Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Ware, Widford|
|E Company Detachments||Welwyn, Hatfield, Stevenage|
|F Company Detachments||Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted, Tring, Ivinghoe|
|G Company Detachments||Hitchin, Letchworth, Baldock, Royston, Ashwell|
|H Company Detachments||Waltham Cross, Hoddesden, Wormley, Cheshunt|
|Machine Gun Section||Stevenage|
|Corps of Drums||Ware|
|may 2012||Page created|