Motor Cars in St Albans

in 1904

Newspapers

Motor Cars

St Albans

Extracts from The Automotor Journal, 1904

 

The motor car has again been in forcible evidence at election time. As many as 100 motor cars were employed at the recent election at the St. Albans Division of Hertfordshire, contributing, we understand, very largely to the result of the poll.

The Automotor Journal, 20 February, 1904

 

Hertfordshire Automobile Club. On Saturday, March 26th, this club will hold their opening run of the season, starting from St. Peter's Street, St. Albans, at 2.30 p.m., the route taken being to Hatfield, Hertford, and Stevenage.

The opposition of the club to the imposition of the 10-mile limit, sought to be enforced by the Corporation of St. Allans, is receiving considerable support from several influential tradesmen and residents who have forwarded objections to the Local Government Board and the Town Clerk. It is thoroughly appreciated in the town that if the application is granted it will lead to a great deal of money which at present finds its way into St. Albans from motorists, being spent elsewhere.

The Automotor Journal, 12 March, 1904

 

Hertfordshire Automobile Club. The inaugural run of this club was held on March 26th, when about thirty members and friends joined in the outing. A start was made from St. Albans at 2.30, and the route taken was via Hatfield and Hertford to Stevenage, and from thence home, a stop being made both on the outward and return journey at the Red Lion, Hatfield. Amongst the members and guests were Messrs. Noel B. Kenealy (Chairman), E. Kenealy and Miss I. St. Leger Shervington, Mr. G. Malton and party, Mr. and Mrs. Barnet-Geake, Mr. W. D. Ross and the Misses Ross, Mr. E. J. Blain, Mr. and Mrs. W. G. James, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Gardiner, the Rev. G. Bernard Gainsford, Dr. Gruggen, Mr. C. Wood, Mr. A. Hunt, Mr. W. Whittall (Hon. Sec.) with Mrs. Whittall.

The Automotor Journal, April 9, 1904

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hertfordshire Automobile Club. On Saturday, March
26th, this club will hold their opening run of the season, starting
from St. Peter's Street, St. Albans, at 2.30 p.m., the route taken
being to Hatfield, Hertford, and Stevenage.

The opposition of the club to the imposition of the 10-mile limit,
sought to be enforced by the Corporation of St. Allans, is receiving
considerable support from several influential tradesmen and
residents who have forwarded objections to the Local Government
Board and the Town Clerk. It is thoroughly appreciated in the
town that if the application is granted it will lead to a great deal of
money which at present finds its way into St. Albans from motorists,
being spent elsewhere.

The Automotor Journal, 12 March, 1904

 

 

 

     
Page Created   February 2013