Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire


St Mary's Church





The church of St Mary is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch wand an embattled western tower with spire containing 2 bells, respectively dated 1663 and 1628: the chancel retains a double piscina; the stone slab of the communion table is that of the ancient altar: some relics of heraldic glass remain in the windows, displaying the coats of Eastfield, Bassett, Astley and Engayne: there are three stone coffin-lids let into the floor at the north east corner of the nave, and monuments to the Gore family, 1657-9: the east window was given by the late W. Hodgson esq. in 1872: the church was restored by the late Mr Philip Hardwick, architect, in 1852, at the cost of the late William Hodgson esq.: there are 160 sittings, 80 being free.

Kelly's Directory for Hertfordshire, 1902


Gilston Church - Published W. Lyon - circa 1904

There are modern pictures of the church on St Mary's web site.