Christ Church

Radlett

 

Radlett was formed out of part of the parish of Aldenham in 1865

 

Christchurch, Radlett

published by E. G. Poster, Radlett

Posted December 16, 1903, to Miss Eaton, Victoria Bdgs., Matlock Bridge

Photograph before the new nave added

  radlett-christ-church
 

Christ Church, Radlett

Published by L.E. Denholm, Bon March, Radlett

The postcard shows the church after a new, wider nave was added in 1907.

Christ Church, situated on Cobden Hill, near the site of a small chantry attached to the abbey of St Albans, and erected in 1864, is a building of flint and stone, banded with red brick, in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, north trancept, north porch and a central tower, with octagonal broach spire, containing 8 tubular bells; the four-light east window is a memorial to Capt. William Robert Phillimore, of Newberries, who died 30 Nov. 1846, and Anna (West) his wife, who died 20 Dec. 1862, and there are other stained windows; in 1907 the south trancept was removed, a new nave and chancel built, the former nave converted into an aisle and the chancel into a side chapel, and new vestries and an organ chamber were also built, at a total cost of about 5,000. in 1910 a new organ was provided at a cost of 685: the church affords sittings for 480 persons. The register dates from the year 1865. The living is a vicarage, net value 254, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Aldenham, and held since 1905 by the Rev. Arthur Prideaux Du Cane M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. [Kelly's Directory, 1912]

 

Christ Church, Radlett

2011

The very wide North Aisle and Chapel were the original Nave and Chancel before the original South Trancept was enlarged to form the present Nave and Chancel.

 
The Church and Church Hall       The Font
   
The Nave   The Arches   The North Transcept
 
August 2011   Page set up with 2011 pictures
April 2014   View of church before wider nave