The first section of the hospital, to accommodate 1,046 patients, was commenced in July, 1931, and was formally opened by H.M. King George V, who was accompanied by Queen Mary, on the 31st May, 1934. The second section of the hospital was constructed in 1937 on the villa system, to bring the whole accommodation in the hospital up to 2,080 beds. Shenleybury Farm had been re-conditioned and largely rebuilt to serve the needs of the Hospital, and the mansion was re-conditioned in 1937 for use as a Convalescent Home for the patients.
Medical Superintendent, G.W. Shore, O.B.E., M.D.
Clerk & Steward, H. Hall.
Clerk to the Sub-Committee, C.W. Radcliffe, Guildhall, Westminster, S W 1.
Shenley Hospital, 1934-1998, North West London Mental Health Trust
Goodbye Asylum, the last ward at Shenley Hospital, by Brendan Wilson, Headless Photos, 2000 (ISBN: 0953834107)
and the Shenley Park web site: History of Shenley Hospital
A History of the Hospital was posted by the BBC in January 2013