TRING

Railway Station

(in the Parish of Aldbury)

 

 

A London Midland & Scottish Parcel Stamp for Tring

The line through Tring was part of the LMS railway between 1923 and 1948, when British Rail was formed.

The London to Birmingham Railway was built by George Stevenson and was the first railway line built out of London. Where it crossed the Chiltern Hills a very significant cutting was excavated at Tring, initially for two lines, but later widened to carry four lines. Tring station opened in 1837 and its rural situation required services to be available and the brother of William Brown the Auctioneer opened the impressive Royal Hotel the following year. This provided food, drink, accommodation and horse transport for arriving passengers. To speed the journey between the town and the station a new road was constructed, Station Road, bypassing Pendley. It became part of the London & North Western Railway in 1846,

 

Ordnance Survey of Tring Station, surveyed 1877

 

FEATURES

Gasworks with Gasometer

Signal Box? between the tracks

Bridge carrying road from Tring to Aldbury

Station Master's House with garden on other side of road.

Royal Hotel with staff accommodation and stables

11 Webb standard design Cottages for staff. with 11 allotments on the opposite side of the road

Marshalling Yard with large shed

Signal Box? between the slow lines (east) and fast lines (west)

Buildings (including cottages/) on West of lines

Coal Binns

The Railway comes to Tring

The Railway comes to Tring

Compiled and Edited
by
Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin

Published online, November 2013
 

This is a very detailed account, with an emphasis of the Tring area, of the building of the London and Birmingham Railway from Euston to Tring.

 

In addition to making extensive use of the readily accessible sources it also reprints the text written in about 1890 by Arthur MacDonald Brown (1861-1951, son of the Tring estate agent William Brown) for a book on the history of Tring which was never published.

 

Tring Station

London & North Western Railway

 

From a postcard by C. A. Howlett

Probably about 1910

 

The siding in the foreground would allow good and livestock to be loaded directly from road level onto railway wagons.

Aldbury Railway Workers in 1851
Where Railway Employees lived in 1881

 

For modern pictures of the station

click on picture

 

     
May 2009   Page created
July 2010   Post card of station added
  Platform 5 on Tring Station, 2012