|Genealogy in Hertfordshire|
The Grove School, Watford
[and Moreton House School, Dunstable]
The Grove, Watford
The Earl of Clarendon moved out of the Grove in 1922 but retained the property for a few years. In 1925 Moreton House School, Dunstable relocated into The Grove where it remained until the 1930s. It was a high class girls boarding run by Miss Harman. The school is not listed as such in Kelly's Directory for Hertfordshire but Miss Harman is listed as a private resident at The Grove in 1926, 1929 and 1933.
In February 2008 Phyllis Thomson, of Vancouver provided a detailed and very readable account of life at the Grove when she was a pupil there between 1925 and 1929. This not only provides very useful information about the school, but also paints a picture which would have applied to many other girls boarding schools.
The following table provides links to further pages with more information on both Moreton House School and The Grove.
Moreton House School
Information extracted from
|Moreton House School History||Some information from the census and trade directories|
|The Moretonia||The School Magazine|
|Moreton House Old Girls||List of Old Girls in1926|
|Moreton House Roll Call||List of pupils at the school 1924-1925|
|Moreton House School Song|
|Elinor M Brent-Dyer||Teacher at school who went on to write Children's Books.|
|The Proposed Move to Watford||Announcement of the move to Watford|
|A Trip to see The Grove||Pupils describe a visit to see The Grove|
The Grove School
Information kindly made available by
Page created April 2008 - Broken links corrected December 2010