Rickmansworth Chorleywood & Croxley Green

by Edmund Parrott

Allan Sutton Publishing,


ISBN 0-7509-1086-0

Paperback, 24*17 cm, 128 pages of photographs


Pictures are organised under the following headings: The Town Centre; Around the Town; Croxley Green; Chorleywood; Mill end and West Hyde; Batchwood and the Canal; People and Personalities; Shops and Businesses; Parades and Celebrations; Some Wartime Memories; Miscellaneous.

Sample Pictures


The Old Market Hall on its site behind the High Street. It was erected in 1804 after the original hall was removed from the centre of the High Street. By the 1860s it had deteriorated because of disuse into this dilapidated state and was photographed by Mr J. Croft in 1868 shortly before it was demolished. The site today is occupied by the brick built town hall which replaced it and which is now used as an office.

The Grand Junction Canal at Springwell Lock, 1910. On the left is the River Colne, which flows under the towpath to join the canal at this point.

  May Cottage, West Hyde, 1920. This is one of the oldest buildings in the area and dates from the early seventeenth century. The people are believed to be Jack and Doris Davis..
Locating Books
At the time this page was last updated copies were available online
January 2011   Significant update