Chipperfield Within Living Memory
Life in a Hertfordshire Village during the Twentieth Century
Edited by Elizabeth Holliday
Research Editor: Mary Hobbs
Published by Chipperfield Parish Council, 2000
Paperback: 152 pages, pictures, map
ISBN 0 952337 61 4
Chipperfield is a small Hertfordshire village situated close to the county's western boundary with Buckinghamshire. The earliest record of the village, then known as Chepervillewode, is dated 1316 and at one time it was part of the Manor of Kings Langley. Today it lies within the Borough of Dacorum and the modern civil parish covers an area of just over 2 square miles with a population of 1,700.
In 1997, as part of their plans to mark the Millennium, Chipperfield Parish Council decided to sponsor an oral history project and invited longstanding residents to record their memories of life in the village.
"Chipperfleld Within Living Memory" is an edited selection from the recorded memoirs of sixty-eight residents. It is illustrated with over fifty photographs, many from private collections and family albums. Together, the text and illustrations evoke a picture of life in a Hertfordshire village during the 20th century, particularly of the years between 1920 and 1970.
The Forge, The Street, circa 1900
There is a web page for Chipperfield
Copies available on loan within Hertfordshire
Page created March 2008