Pitstone, Buckinghamshire

 

Pitstone (Tring, Herts, 3 m.) is a small uninteresting village on the spurs of the Chilterns, a bleak and rather forlorn place. The position of the church, to the W. of the village, in the fields where it stands alone with the domelike eminence known as Pitstone Hill (700 ft.), which is divided from the Ivinghoe Hills by the road from Ivinghoe to Aldbury, forming its background, emphasises this feeling. The plain W. tower and general view of the church are rather depressing. The windows E. and S. in the chancel are P. The pillars which divide the nave from the N. (only) aisle-have some rude floral decoration of the capitals. The chancel arch is pointed and has the character of early work. The tiles of the chancel (14th and 15th century), though much worn, are interesting examples of old designs, chiefly of four-leaved. flowers. The pulpit is a good piece of Jacobean wood-carving. The font is the most attractive part of the church; it is elaborate and beautiful. The ornamentation of the lower part of the circular bowl is fluted, which is divided from the upper part by a cable. Some four-leaved flowers on the E. front and small arches on the W., and a string round the top complete a charming piece of work, of the N. or Trans. N. period.

Buckinghamshire (Little Guide), 1918


The Church of St Mary the Virgin was declared redundant in 1973 and is vested in the Redundant Churches Fund (now the Churches Conservation Trust) in 1974. The photographs on this page were taken on 29th May 2005, when the church was open for a flower festival and the sale of paintings, etc., by local artists.


The 10 commandments and royal arms painted over the Chancel Arch.

 

This Buckinghamshire parish is of interest because it originally contained Nettleden (Herts) and was part of the Berkhamsted Union.

 

 

External Links

GENUKI page

Wikipedia Page

Victoria County History

Ashridge (National Trust)

Pitstone Green Museum

Review of Pitstone Greem Museum

 
 

Linked Pages

 

Aldbury

 

Ashridge

 

Berkhamsted

 

Frithsden

 

Ivinghoe

 

Great Gaddesden

 

Little Gaddesden

Marsworth

 

Nettleden

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Church Farm (now called Moat Farm), Pitstone,  advertised in 1927 by W. Brown & Co

Bucks C. C. Information on Farm House & Moat

2009 Archaeological Report on the Moat (pdf)

Pitstone Windmill

Permanent Link Page: www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/links/pitstone.htm    

November 2012   Page fremomated and updated
September 2016   Moat Farm
August 2017   Link to review of Pitstone Green Museum