Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Albury

Adjacent Parishes:  Bishops Stortford, Braughing, Farnham (Essex), Furneux Pelham, Little Hadham, Manuden (Essex), Standon

 

Places

Albury

It is in the Edwinstree Hundred and the Bishop Stortford Union

Albury Church

... This is a view of the village church, one wonders how such a large church can be kept up in so very insignificant a village. It is an excellent state of preservation  and the interior's carving is very good. ...

Card posted in 1915 and published in the "Albury Series" by John Caton & Sons.who are described as "family grocers, wine and spirit merchants, drapers, boot and shoe dealers, bakers, corn & coal merchants, etc." in Kelly's directory for 1912

 

Albury (3 miles E. of Braughing Station) is a village near the River Ash. The Church, dedicated to St Mary, dates from the fourteenth century; it was recently restored. There was an earlier structure so far back as the days of Stephen ... ... Albury Hall, close by, is a fine old mansion, where the "Religeous, Just and Charitable" Sir Edward Atkins, Knight and Baron of the Exchequer, died in 1669. The village is usually a quiet spot, with little business, but it is pleasantly situated; the proximity of the river and some scattered cottages and farms enhance its attractiveness.

Albury End is a small hamlet about 1 mile S.W. of Albury.

Hertfordshire Little Guide 1903

Albury Church - "Albury Series" by John Caton & Sons

Church End, Albury - posted 1913

The public house is the "Labour in Vain" and Kelly's directory for 1912 shows that the publican was William Drew. It closed in about the 1950s (Hertfordshire Inns). 

The card was published in the "Albury Series" by John Caton and Sons.

  Title: Church End, Albury - Publisher: "Albury Series" John Caton & Sons - Date: Posted 1913

Albury. (3 miles E.) is traversed by the Ash and lies on the Essex border. This parish includes the hamlets of Albury End, Upwick Green, Clapgate and Patmore Heath; also the fine old residences of Upwick Hall and Albury Lodge. 

Albury, recorded in early documents as Eldeberei, is a small but pretty village with an interesting church. This dates mainly from the 14th century; but the chancel is earlier. The tower, 500 years old, is 14th century; but the chancel is earlier. The tower, 500 years old, is pinnacled and has a slender spire. The well-carved 15th century chancel pinnacled and has a slender spire. The well-carved 15th century chancel screen should be noticed, also the Jacobean panels of the pulpit. The chancel has been panelled throughout in recent times with oak and newly fitted, but the altar table dates from the 17th century. This church retains an ancient muniments chest with four locks. A number of medieval brasses may be seen; also a 14th century tomb with effigies of a knight in armour and his lady. 

The annual Albury Horse Show is an established attraction and enjoys wide support.

Braughing Rural District Official Guide 1971

 
 
GENUKI Logo
albury-clapgate-mann-1912

 
Another view by Mann

Clapgate, Albury - posted circa 1912

[monochrome version posted 1901 known]
Card published by D. W. Mann, Post Office Stores, Albury

Post, M.O. & T. Office., Albury - Danzie Ward Mann, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Much Hadham at 7.10 a.m. & 12 noon; dispatched at 10.55 a.m. & 5.25 p.m.   Wall Letter Boxes. - High farm, cleared at 10.40 a.m. & 5.5 p.m. weekdays & 4.45 p.m. sundays; Piggot's farm, cleared at 11 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. weekdays & 5.15 p.m. sundays. [Kelly's Directory for Hertfordshire, 1912]


Clapgate, Albury 
Posted Ware 1905. Publisher ref WWE 39

Traders at Clapgate in 1902 
Kelly's Directory 
Chipperfield William, blacksmith 
Gayler Arthur & Simon, butchers 
Rogers Ann (Mrs), beer retailer 
Scales Thomas, beer retailer

ALBURY. The River Ash trickles through the valley below, and on neighbouring hilltops are Albury Lodge and Upwick Hall, both with 17th century panelling and oak doorways older still, while the gardener at the hall lives in a cottage 500 years old. 

Near the church is a 16th century timbered house with leaning walls and beyond is an inn with a ready-made text m its sign, The Labour in Vain. In summer the scent of lime and syringa steals into the church, where are also the fresh colour and coolness of trees, for the 13th century chancel, behind its screen of 15th century tracery, has been entirely panelled in white oak, with new seats and an altar rail to match, all set against a carpet as green as leaves. The nave, the aisles, and the chancel arch are 14th century; the pinnacled tower and needle spire and two of the bells were added in the 15th, and the porch soon afterwards. There is an ancient ironbound chest with four locks, some 15th century ironwork on the door to the tower stair- case, a 17th century altar table, and a pulpit made up of Jacobean panelling inlaid with the arms of the Leventhorpes. [Continues with description of memorials.]

Arthur Mee, Hertfordshire

 


From Bacon's Map of Hertfordshire, 1904


Mill House

The Windmill


Detail of above showing van and mill stone


Albury Church

Buttons Pond Cottages

Patmore Lodge
These cards came together, all are unused, and none have publisher information. The van suggests a 1920's date..

However the reverse of a second copy of the Mill House card caries the Bell Series Logo with the words "Leigh-on-Sea" underneath,

 In 1900 there were three fully licensed public houses (Catherine Wheel at Gravesend, Labour in Vain at Church End and the Fox at Albury End - see The Fox Inn, Albury End, Early 20th Century) and two beerhouses (Royal Oak and Jolly Butchers, both at Clapgate). The Jolly Butchers ceased trading soon after 1900 and the Labour in Vain, now a private house, probably in the 1950. The Fox closed in the late 1970s and the Royal Oak in 1985, leaving only the Catherine Wheel.

Hertfordshire Inns and Public Houses, 1995

 

Thatched Cottages at Gravesend, Albury 
Posted Albury 1907 but divided back suggests circa 1903. Publisher ref WWE 44 

Gravesend (3 miles N.E from Braughing Station, G.E.R.) is a hamlet on the road from Little Hadham to Furneaux Pelham. Albury Church is 1 mile S.   Hertfordshire Little Guide 1903

Books

George Ward writes: In the 19th century the vicar of Albury was a Rev. Thomas Bayliff. One of his grandaughters became a journalist (and at one time the womans' editor of the Daily Mail) and was author of several books. Towards the end of her life she wrote an autobiography "Life's enchanted cup: an autobiography, 1872-1933." She refers to visits to her grandfather with interesting  comment on him and of the village at that time. Her married name was Constance Dorothy Peel (she has an entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.)

Web Sites

Albury Village - Well worth a visit - Selection of pictures - some old - including Patmore Heath, and picture and brief information on St Mary's parish church. The site contains details of a book We Ploughed the Fields ... and Scattered about the Hutchin family of Albury.

 

WILLS: This parish was in the peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls Cathedral and this means that wills before 1845 are held in the Guildhall Library, in the City of London. There is a card index at HALS. See Wills at Hertford, 1415-1858

 

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

August 2009   Link relating to Fox Public House
August 2010   P.C. of interior of church