Applegarth,

Stocks Road,

Aldbury

 
 

Aldbury, Herts

[no publisher information]

Tell me about it

Interestingly this early divided back card was posted in Wellington, New Zealand, on 22 March, 1904, as  a birthday card to a Miss S Downes, 129 Willis Street. Wellington.

David Downes and family are listed as living in one of the railway cottages at Tring Railway Station in the 1881-1911 censuses and it would be interesting to know if there is any connection with the Miss Downes living in New Zealand.

The same view in 2016 (larger image on Geograph)

 

Applegarth, the jetted building beyond the thatched cottages is one of the many 17th Century buildings surviving in Aldbury. It is a Grade II listed building described as follows:

House. Early/mid C17, (but possibly the house described in an inventory of 1598), W service wing late C17/early C18, lower N extension and brick casing to S gable wall in C19. Timber frame on painted brick sill with painted brick infill. Painted brick N extension. Red tilehung red brick S end with corbel at jetty. Steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys and cellar house facing E with continuous E side jetty, rear outshut under catslide roof, and 1 storeys N extension. A 2-cells plan with end chimneys, central entrance and through passage (subsequently widened to N to accommodate a staircase). Cellar under S room with access from rear outshut where original stair was probably situated. Jettied E front has wide-spaced studs on first floor and RH half of ground floor. LH half of brick with cellar window below. 2 windows to each floor; Yorkshire sliding casements of 2-lights on first floor, and of 3-lights on ground floor with external panelled wooden shutters. N extension has a gabled dormer window over a 3-light window with 2 small 3-light windows under the eaves to RH part. 8-panel door (top 2 glazed). Projecting ends of crossbeams in jetty mark original bay divisions and these are confirmed by the axial chamfered and stopped floor beams, the N beam extending into the widened passage. The S beam is stopped to suit the larger S gable chimney which must be contemporary. The chamfers on the joists in some cases extend to the exterior. Clasped-purlin roof. An important house when built. The N extension was a butcher's shop in living memory. (RCHM Typescript: Davis(1980) No. 8).

Very detailed reports, with plans, photos, etc, related to planning permission for changes to the building have been prepared by Archaeological Services & Consultansy Ltd (2004) and The Heritage Network (2005) and are available online.

Some Early 20th Century Occupants

1912   Rev. C. Allen, M.A., (curate), Applegarth, Aldbury
1914   Rev. Eric William George Ferris (curate), Applegarth, Aldbury
1917   Rev. George Walter Field B.A. (curate), Applegarth, Aldbury
1925-34   Captain Herveius Alexander Ralph Butler (1881-1934) was in The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) from 1913-1919. He married Kathleen Cecily Finch, daughter of the late Rev. George Finch of Leverstok Green in the Watford parish church on 7th September 1916. He was definitely at Applegrath by 1925. He was a church warden 1926-34. He died on May 12th, 1934 and is buried in the parish churchyard.
1937   Walter Ernest Wait (1878-1961) was a British civil administrator, ornithologist and oologist in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). He was Deputy Director of Customs, Colombo (1915), and Director of the Museum in Colombo (1925). He wrote Manual of the Birds of Ceylon (1925). On retiring he moved to Applegarth and was there by 1937.
January 2016     Page created