WALL HALL, N of Edge Grove. Castellated, turreted, and cemented house of 1802 (then given the fancy name Aldenham Abbey) and c.1830. Some artificial ruins, an Ionic covered garden seat, and an icehouse in the grounds. Since 1945 a teacher training college, with extensive buildings by the County Architect's Department (1961-8 by R. L. Pye; library 1970-1 by A. J. Janes) linked to the old house by the facade of the big Gothic conservatory. The stable block, with weather boarded clock tower, has been attractively converted. [The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire]
The house has now been converted to apartments as part of a housing development [details].
|July 2017||Aldenhanm Abbey card added plus news item|
|August 2017||Page Checked - New and bigger post card images|