St Lawrence

 

Ardeley

 


St Lawrence Church, Ardeley
undated Frith card

St Lawrence Church, Ardeley
undated Frith card

When this you see remember me

And think now I am gone,

You may walk out and seek about

And not find such a one.

Memorial Inscription from the Churchyard

Recorded in Cream of Curiosity

 

The Village of Yardley, or Ade1ey, is situate about four miles from Great Munden. The Church here is ancient and curious; it is in the Later English style of architecture, and has been recently renovated. by which means some ancient fresco paintings on the walls have been discovered. It is dedicated to St. Lawrence, and will contain 300 persons. The living is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls, of the value of £180 per annum, and 40 acres of glebe, and 10 added from the great tithes. There are some good stained glass windows in the Church, and the tower has a ring of six bells. In the chancel is a monument to the memory of the Chauncy family, to whom there are several inscriptions, as also to the Shotbolt and Markham families, and more recently to that of the Murrays, one of whom, General Murray, an Indian hero of Tippo Sahib's time, died at the old Manor House, and was buried in a vault here at night, according to an ancient family custom. The Register dates from 1546.

... ... ...

A Chapel of Ease was built in 1853. by the exertions of the present Vicar, the Rev. W. W. Malet, at WOOD END, a Hamlet of this straggling Parish nearly two miles from the old Church, which is a great boon to the rural inhabitants. The population of Yardley is 563; the number of acres 2405.

Guide to Hertfordshire 1880

The Village of Yardley, or Ade1ey, is situate about four miles from Great Munden. The Church here is ancient and curious; it is in the Later English style of architecture, and has been recently renovated. by which means some ancient fresco paintings on the walls have been discovered. It is dedicated to St. Lawrence, and will contain 300 persons. The living is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls, of the value of 180 per annum, and 40 acres of glebe, and 10 added from the great tithes. There are some good stained glass windows in the Church, and the tower has a ring of six bells. In the chancel is a monument to the memory of the Chauncy family, to whom there are several inscriptions, as also to the Shotbolt and Markham families, and more recently to that of the Murrays, one of whom, General Murray, an Indian hero of Tippo Sahib's time, died at the old Manor House, and was buried in a vault here at night, according to an ancient family custom. The Register dates from 1546.

... ... ...

A Chapel of Ease was built in 1853. by the exertions of the present Vicar, the Rev. W. W. Malet, at WOOD END, a Hamlet of this straggling Parish nearly two miles from the old Church, which is a great boon to the rural inhabitants. The population of Yardley is 563; the number of acres 2405.

Guide to Hertfordshire 1880

 

Vicars and Schoolmasters

from Ardeley St Lawrence Primary School

 

Year

Vicar

Schooleachers

 

1835

S. Hinds

Susan Hunt

 

1843

W. W Malet

 

 

1871

 

Sarah Parker

 

1874

 

James Potter

 

1875

 

William Parker

 

1885

M E Ruddock

 

 

1886

 

J W Senior

 

1890

 

T H Pugh

 

1911

A Macrae

 

 

1916

H V S Eck

 

 

1922

F P Harton

 

 

1926

 

J H Thorp

 

1929

 

A W Wittingham

 

1934

E C Henley

 

 

1940

 

Miss G J Cragg

  1946 J E Hardy  
  1947   A W Andrew
  1956 F H Wagner  
  1967 M P Thomas  
  1977   C D Clarke
  1980   T V Longhurst
1983     Mrs A Heslop
August 2017   Page Checked - Additional post card image