The Cedars,


formerly in Rickmansworth


From advert for auction on 30th October 1861 in the Herts Mercury of 19th October, 1861

Formerly the Residence of the Earl Russell, near to a Church, and good roads in all directions, 20 miles from London. ...

THE CHORLEYWOOD ESTATE FREEHOLD, and the greater part LAND-TAX REDEEMED including a well appointed MANSION, seated on a delightful eminence, in a beautiful timbered PARK-LIKE PADDOCK, having ENTRANCE LODGES, and commanding extensive landscape scenery, (Moor Park, the seat of Lord Ebury, forming a prominent feature), and replete with every accommodation for a family of distinction; it has four reception rooms, with noble entrance-hall, 13 bedrooms, and offices of every description.

EXTENSIVE GROUNDS which immediately surround the House, and in their disposition great taste has been displayed, a profusion of the choicest SHRUBS, with an ornamental and tastefully arranged FERNERY, a CONSERVATORY, and the far-famed CEDARS are truely magnificent; immediately adjoining the pleasure grounds is the GROVE WOOD, with its splendid beeches and delightful walks; a KITCHEN GARDEN, with southern aspect, having GRAPERIES and Forcing Houses.

Very superior STABLES recently erected with all the modern appliances, including stalls and boxes for 12 horses, with rooms over for the coachman and grooms; standing for four carriages.

Nearby is a Miniature FARMSTEAD, with Bailiff's and Gardener's Houses and Dog Kennels. ...

The Country is hunted by Lord Lonsdale's Hounds, and on the Estate is a well-known cover, which is seldom drawn blank; Mr Way's Harriers are often in the neighbourhood, and many of the meets of Her Majesty's and Lord Dacre's Hounds are within easy reach. ...

The MANSION (possession of which will be given) with about 600 Acres of Land in a ring fence, will form one lot ...

The Cedars, Chorleywood

Photo by Coles, Watford,

Posted 1912


After the sale the old house was pulled down and rebuilt as The Cedars, Chorleywood, and became the country home of John Saunders Gilliat (1829-1912) banker, and Member of Parliament for Clapham and later Widnes. He, and his family were in London in 1871, visiting relatives in 1881 and 1891, and at their London address, 18 Princes Gate, in 1901 and 1911 - so are not recorded as  living at The Cedars in any census! He was succeeded by his son, Captain John Babington Gilliat, D.S.O., J.P. (1868-1949). J. B. Gilliat sold the estate in 1913, and the house was given by the purchaser, James Henley Batty to the National Institute for the Blind for use as a school. The school was moved to Worcester in 1987 and the site developed as a retirement village

Advertisement of the sale of timber (beech, oak and larch) in Solomon's Wood, on the Cedars Estate, Chorley Wood

Buckinghamshire Advertiser, 8th March 1890


The Cedars, Chorleywood, near Rickmansworth.  

The Cedars, Chorleywood
Published by E. S. Brown, Rickmansworth.

See A short history of The Cedars (with mid-20th century photograph)

Page created   October 2013