St Mary's

Colliers End

A Mission Church associated with St Mary's, Standon



A mission church, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected in 1911, at the sole cost of Ernest E. Wickham esq. of Plashes; the church contains some fine carved oak; two of the windows are stained; there are 100 sittings.
Kelly's Directory 1912

 [Photographs 2006]

Interior of Colliers End Church, - postcard sent October, 1944

COLLIER’S END. Opening of St. Mary’s Mission Church. — In memory of his wife, who died at the end of last year, Mr. Ernest Edward Wickham, of Plashes, has erected and furnished entirely, bis own cost, A Mission Church at Collier's End, a hamlet of the village of High Cross. The Church was built by Mr. Charles Pritlove, of Wadesmill, and is of Gothic character. The Church, which will accommodate 150 persons, consists of chancel, vestry, nave, west porch, organ chamber, embattled tower and tapering upire. The vane of the spire is quite original, and consists of a letter "M" pierced by a sword, thus being an emblem of one of the dolours of the Blessed Virgin. A marked feature of the Church is the beautifully carved rood screen, rood and communion rails, the work of Mr. H. Gilbert, of Ware, aud the richly carved oak panels on the altar, the work of Mr. Wickham himself. The Church is well lighted, the East window of stained glass representing our Lord in glory, surrounded by seven candlesticks, symbolical of the seven churches. The dedication took place on tho evening of the 28th nit., by the Lord Bishop of Colchester, when the Church was crowded. The service was fully choral, the High Cress surpliced choir being present. The Bishop was attended by the Rev. A. E. T. Raven (Twickenham), as his chaplain, and the other clergy present included the Vicar, the Rev. F. A. Overton, who conducted the evensoug part of the service, the Rev. S. M. Stanley (Braughing), Rev. S. F. O. Huddy (Staodon), Canon Kelham (Thundridgc), and the Rev. Martin Reed (Ware). The Bishop, in bis address, after the dedication, spoke of the four kinds of houses mentioned in the service devoted to the glory of God—the temple of Jerusalem, the particular house just dedicated, temple of God in their hearts, and the church triumphant. He concluded with beautiful words of the late Dean of Lincoln, the brother of Mr. Wickham, the donor of the church.

Herts & Cambs Reporter & Royston Crow, 4th November, 1910

March 2018   Press report and larger archive image of post card