St Faith's Church, Hexton

 

Places

Hexton

St Faith's Church, Hexton, Herts, 18th century
St Faith's Church circa 1720
from A Harvest of Hexton

 

Web Links

 

St Faith, Hexton

contains a brief history of the church.

 

St Faith's Well

 

WW1 War Memorial

Plaque in Church

William Cooper

William Godfrey

Alexander Hynd

 

Grade II* Listed Building

 

Pictures of Church by Hugh J Griffiths

 

The church of St Faith was entirely rebuilt in 1824, by the late Joseph Andrew De Latour, Esq.,(a descendant of the Dukes of Bouilion) and is a very handsome building, with nave, chancel, and porch on the south,  square tower and 3 bells, and contains a well-toned organ, the gift of the same liberal donor, whose widow is now lady of the manor. The register dates from 1538. The living is a vicarage, annual value £100, in the gift of Madame De Latour, and held by the Rev. Thomas Burbidge, L.L.D., of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Post Office Directory for Hertfordshire, 1866

Post card of Parish Church, Hexton, circa 1905
Rev Fillingham's Church, Hexton
Photographed & Published by W.H. Cox, 90 Castle Street, Luton.
Early format - this card posted 1918 - another copy known 1907

[click picture for enlarged image]

 

The Rev Robert Charles Fillingham was appointed as vicar in 1891..

He died and was succeeded by the Rev. Robert Frederick Cory in 1909.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST. FAITH, stands at the foot of the Barton Hills, at the S.W. end of the village. The walls are covered with cement, and the roofs are of lead and slate. The Chancel, North Chapel, Nave of three bays, and North and South Aisles have been completely restored. The ground stage of the West Tower, the roof of the nave, and possibly the roofs of the aisles are of the 15th century; no other old work can be seen, but a church in this parish was dedicated to St. Faith, by Ralph, Bishop of Rochester (1108-14)

Architectural Description -The West Tower is or three stages, with a stair-turret in the S.W. angle. The 15th-century tower arch is or three chamfered orders; the W. doorway and the window over it are modern. The Roof ofthe nave is of the 15th century, with moulded beams, carved bosses and half-length figures or angels supporting the intermediate rafters. the roofs of the aisles are possibly or the same date, but plainer.

Fittings-Bells: three; 1st 1697, 3rd 1688, both by Chandler; 2nd apparently early 14th century, inscribed 'Ave Maria'. Monument: in the chancel, to Peter Taverner, 1601, and his wire, arched panel or Purbeck marble, inscription and two brass shields with arms or Taverner and Docwra.

Condition-Good; completely restored.

Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. 1911

 

WW2 War Grave

Archie Lawrence

St Faith's Church in 2011

Picture of St Faith, Hexton, Herts, parish church   Picture of St Faith, Hexton, Herts, parish church
 

Picture of St Faith, Hexton, Herts, parish church, ruined tower

The broken Church Tower

In 1947 two sides of the tower collapsed. In 1961 thieves stripped the lead off the roof. The nave deteriorated into a damp and seldom used space, though regular worship continued in the chancel.
A restoration project began in 1994. In 2000 the whole village decided to refurbish the nave as both a church and a community centre. This was completed in 2006. Now the nave, known as St. Faith’s Community Centre, is in daily use by groups, the playgroup, the school (which has no hall) youth club and WI. St. Faith’s was among the twelve national prize winners for ‘The Best Church Building for the Future, 2005’

from St Faith, Hexton

     
November 2011   Page Created