Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire


High Street





Titke: [None] - Publisher: Arthur G Copping, Studio, Rickmansworth - date circa 1910

This view down Rickmansworth High Street circa 1908 shows the saddlers shop run by Percy Gatehouse on the left and the Swan Hotel beyond the blind on the right. The postcard was published by Arthur George Copping, Photographer, of Station Road, who is listed in the 1908 Kelly's Directory, but not in 1912.


The Old Market Hall on its site behind the High Street. It was erected in 1804 after the original hall was removed from the centre of the High Street. By the 1860s it had deteriorated because of disuse into this dilapidated state and was photographed by Mr J. Croft in 1868 shortly before it was demolished. The site today is occupied by the brick built town hall which replaced it and which is now used as an office.

Rickmansworth. Chorleywood & Croxley Green

January 2011   Page created