Sandridge

in 1854 from

Craven & Co's 1854 Directory

 

 

In the following listing it is clear that Craven's directory used, almost certainly without permission, the descriptions of towns and villages in the 1851 Post Office Directory, and phrases which are an exact copy are gray shaded. However the name lists appear to be significantly more detailed and as there will have been changes in three years it is reasonable to assume that a proper and more extensive new survey was carried out. Information recorded for the first time in Craven's Directory are yellow shaded. This suggests that this directory is an important additional directory resource.

 

SANDRIDGE, or Saundridge, is a village in Cashio hundred and St Albans Union, from which place it is distant 2 miles north-east, and 4 miles north-west of Hatfield. The church is dedicated to St Leonard, and is a neat building, with square flint tower and two bells. The living is a vicarage, valued at 300 per annum; in the patronage of Earl Spencer, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Spencer Bourchier, M.A.; the Rev Thomas Henry Winbolt, M.A., is curate. There is a National School here. Population, by last census, 864. Area of parish, 5890 acres.

Childwick Green and Childwickbury are 2 miles west; Beech Bottom is 1 mile south-west.

Gentry

Bourchier Rev. Charles Spencer, M.A., vicar, h. Great Hallinbury, Bishops Stortford
Bradshaw Mr. John, Bernards Heath
Janes Mr. William
Kinder Mr. John, Sandridgebury farm
Kinder Mr. Thomas, Sandridgebury
Martin George Robert, Esq., Marshall wick
Winbolt Rev. Thomas Henry, M.A., curate, Vicarage

Trades

Bennit William, brick & tile maker, Bernard Heath, h. St. Peter's street, St Albans
Booth Elizabeth, farmer, Evans Farm
Charles Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Cox Jonathan, farmer, Hill End Farm
Cox Thomas, farmer
Dickinson George, farmer, Cheapside Farm
Ephgrave John, blacksmith
Evans Charles, victualler, "Rose and Crown"
Evans Thomas, shopkeeper
Franklin Charles, gamekeeper, Birch Bottom
George Edward, farmer
George William, farmer, Fairfells farm
Handley Maria, shopkeeper
Irons John, victualler, "Queen's Head," and butcher
Kerrison Levi, bricklayer, builder and shopkeeper
Lattimore John and Joshua, wheelwrights and timber merchants [Should be Joseph]
Parsons Henry, maltster and brewer, h., St Stephen's street, St Albans
Parsons James, parish clerk
Paul James, shopkeeper
Paul William, builder and carpenter
Pearman Thos, farmer, Lower Beechhyde farm
Raggett John, farmer, Chalkdell house
Sayer Robert, beer retailer
Sharpe John, beer retailer
Sharpe Thomas, shopkeeper
Slater Sarah, shopkeeper
Smith John, farmer, Waterend farm  [Should be Dolphin]
Smith Robert, farmer, Bernard Heath
Smith Thomas, farmer, Pound farm
Southam John, blacksmith, Childwick Green
Stanbridge Eliza, National schoolmistress
Stanbridge Frederick, National schoolmaster
Thrale William and Norman, farmers, No Man's land
Woollatt Sydney, farmer, Upper Beechhyde
Wright Edward, farmer, Water End
Young George, farmer, Nash's farm

Post Office

Letters received through St Albans

St. Leonard's Church

Bouchier Rev. Charles Spencer, M.A., vicar
Wimbolt Rev. Thomas Henry, M.A., curate
Service 11 a m, and 3 p m

National School

Stanbridge Frederick, master
Stanbridge Eliza, mistress
Average number, 100

Page created April 2014