St Botolph, 1 mile north of the village was declared redundant in 1972. The fragment of a larger building for which Maud, Countess of Salisbury, left money in 1424. Chancel and tower arch were pulled down after a fire in 1753. The wide nave was originally nave and south aisle. The outer walls are of squared flint with brick dressing. The windows have steep two-centred arches and perpendicular tracery ...
About two miles from London Colney, and equidistant between St. Alban's and Barnet, is the pleasant Village of Shenley, where is a small Church, dedicated to St. Botolph, composed of chalk, flint, and brick, with a curious wooden tower and three bells. There are inscriptions to the memory of former inhabitants of Porters and of Shenley Hill, Mansions in this Parish, and one to the Rev. P. Falle, the historian of the Islands of Jersey and Guernsey, who died at Shenley, in the year 1742, aged 86. In this Church is a handsome memorial window to H. Hoddie, Esq., of Colney House, who died in 1347. There is also one to the Rev. T. Newcome, who died in 1841, aged 73, and was forty-nine years Rector of this Parish. Another window is to the memory of the three sons and the grandson of Col. Alexander Dashwood; and there are others to former residents, including one to Charlotte Still Durant, of High Cannons, who died in 1363, aged 54.
In the floor is a brass to Ralph Alwaye, Gent., who died in 1618, and an old slab from which the brass has been taken, which was to the memory of a person named Sherhard, and :large tablet on the wall records the death of Edward Anderson, son of Sir Edward Anderson, who died in 1685, aged 91 years. The old wood ceiling has been hidden by a flat plastered one. In the Churchyard, near the porch, is the following inscription on an upright stone, which is curious :-
Silent in dust lies mouldering here,
A Parish Clerk of voice most clear:
None JOSEPH ROGERS could excel
In laying bricks, or singing well.
Though snapped his line, laid by his rod,
We build for him our hopes in God!
The Saviour God! that he will raise,
Again that voice to sing his praise,
In temple blest which always stands,
The Church of God, not made with hands.
There is in the Churchyard a large tomb to J. Monk, who is said to have been descended from the Monks of Fotheringhay; and another to a person named Wagstaff, of whom it is recorded to his honor that he "lived in friendship with the world, and died without an enemy." There are in the Churchyard two ancient yew trees of immense size. Salmon, who wrote in the beginning of last century, says, "In the Churchyard were found, some years ago, upon digging, a number of bones lying together in a disorderly manner, as if the remains of some battle." The living is a Rectory, of the value of £1100, with a residence and 31 acres of glebe. The Patron and the present Incumbent is the Rev. H. J. Newcome. The Register is from 1678. There is an Episcopal Chapel in the Parish; it is a commodious building of brick, erected in 1841, and has 240 free seats. Divine Service is performed alternately at the Chapel and the Church; and there are good National Schools and an Infant School in the Parish. The Wesleyans have a Chapel here. The population of Shenley is 1380; the number of acres, 4056. A short distance from the Village is a handsome Residence called PORTERS, which was formerly occupied by the Marchioness of Sligo; it is pleasantly situated in a beautiful park, and commands extensive views of the neighbouring country. This Mansion was originally called Weld Hall. Lord Howe, who gained that brilliant naval victory over the French, known as the "glorious First of June," at one time possessed it. SHENLEY HILL, a very old Mansion, formed part of the possessions of the great Earl of Warwick, who was slain at Barnet.
Young Crawley, Guide to Hertfordshire, 1880