A walk around St Albans

The Independent Chapel,
Spicer Street, St Albans


Genealogy in


St Albans

The Dagnal Lane Chapel, erected 1697


The web site contains a useful illustrated history of Christianity in St Albans from the viewpoint of the Independent Church, with several biographical articles, including one on William Cowper (1731-1800) the poet and hymn writer.


Photos from a Visit to the Spicer Street Church, September 2011



1811 The Independent Chapel built

1812 Chapel opened

1817 Gallery added, including clock made by John Galer, a St Albans grocer, who attended the Chapel

1838 Graveyard first used. (Graveyard closed in 1897)

 1880 New pews downstairs

1892 Organ chamber built and organ installed. This replaced a harmonium situated in the gallery. Pulpit, platform, new pews in gallery and new windows above gallery all added at this time.

 c 1943 Railings removed for war effort. Original gates are still in place.

c 1947 Replacement railings obtained.

 1960s Vestibule modified.

 1980 Major works to Chapel & Sunday School buildings. Original north staircase removed, new staircase installed & vestibule enlarged by a new entrance through to the Sunday School building. Alterations to Sunday School buildings included installation of the upper room, a screen to subdivide the hall & provision of a baptistry under the floor of the 'small' hall.

1987 Organ replaced by one from a redundant London church. A new Allen electronic organ has since been installed.



1863 Sunday School built following purchase & demolition of cottages

 1889 Sunday School building extended (More cottages purchased)


The congregation, which meets at the Independent Chapel buildings, is now known as Spicer Street Church


Austin C E

Atkins P A C

Butterfield R G P

Buttenshaw L H

Caldecote F

Calder H G

Cleaver C

Cousins E A J

Curnick H

Edwards C G

Ephgrave B

Faulder A

Hillman H


Hobbs F W

Howe C A

Howe C

Hozier W

King H

Laughland S

Oakley S

Pope P

Ryan H P

Searle H B

Waldock E

Waldock W

Watson E L

Ward H


World War 1 Memorial


A memorial in the chapel reads

In Loving Memory of

The Rev. William Urwick, M.A.

for Fifteen years a Faithful Pastor

of this Church.

Died on the 20th of August 1903

in his Eightieth Year

Author of "Nonconformity in Herts," etc.

In addition to Nonconformity in Hertfordshire he wrote Bible Truths and Church Errors which contains a usful account of day school education in St Albans

See The Cotton Mill, St Albans, 19th Century for references to the period immediately before the chapel was built.

Continue walk by returning to Romelands and into Fishpool Street

September 2011


Major rewrite with pictures