Watford Museum, Lower High Street
The museum is in a large house, built circa 1775, which was part of the Benskin Brewery. The Brewery was acquired by Inde Coope in the 1950s and closed down in the 1970s, the museum opened in 1981.
On one side of the entrance hall there is, most appropriately, a gallery displaying exhibits relating to the brewing industry, while on the other side there are exhibits relating to the printing industry, which has an important place in Watford's industrial history. No museum in Watford could ignore the football club, with a display of memorabilia and one room contains portraits and other paintings relating to Cassiobury.
The museum has published a number of publications and the following are reviewed on this site.
Page created September 2007