A Short History of Bernards Heath
Map of the Bernards Heath Brick Works
1Brickkyln on 1726 map
2Brick Close on 1726 map. (May be the Brokeclose of 1556). It was farm land when let to William Brown in 1809.
3Benjamin Fowler enclosure of 1813. In 1833 became the site of the original waterworks. House later known as Swiss Cottage, and became the Hitchcock’s straw bleaching works, partly burnt down in 1879.
3’Possible site of sheds improperly erected on Heath by B. Fowler in 1822.
4Joseph Kinder of Sandridgebury (1831)? [Father & brother made bricks.]
5Possibly William Bennett between about 1833-1865, later almost certainly Miskin’s until about 1893. Disused by 1897 Ordnance Survey
6George Farr Arnold from 1864. May have reverted to "field" by 1871.
7George Farr Arnold from 1868. Became tallow works by 1890.
8Frederick Barford in 1869. Only used for a few years.
9James Dickson in 1890. St Peter’s Brickworks closed down in 1899. The land on which these brickworks were situated was sold for housing - but some builders excavated the brick earth instead. Other nearby brick pits were owned by Mr. Savage and others.
10Probable site of Jacob Reynolds’ Brickworks in 1894, and possibly earlier. Jacob Reynolds owned Heath Brick & Pottery Works circa 1900. Miskin on site in 1905 and still on the Heath in 1913 but may not have been making bricks at these dates. Became Bygrave & Stratton’s builder’s yard after 1st World War.
Next: The Brickworks of Bernards Heath in 1822