Hatfield Local History Society
List of Publications
The Origins of Hatfield Street Names
A compilation of a project by members researching local archives and records
Growing Up In Hatfield Before 1945
A set of four booklets based upon memories of Hatfield people for the 1990 WEA series of meetings
The Tingeys of Hatfield
by Janet Robinson
A comprehensive history of the Tingey family1725 telling their story from the time of first coming to Hatfield until the closure of their businesses. Written by Janet Robinson, daughter of Randall Tingey, this booklet contains- reminiscences from the family and photographs from the family album. Over 70 page" of text, pictures etc.
by Marian Moore
Out of Print £5.00
60 pages of memories and poems written by the widow of Charlie Moore, newsagent and hairdresser, recalling her early life in Lemsford and later in Hatfield in their shop in St. Albans Road.
The Life and Times of William George Walby of Hatfield
Out of Print £2.50
The personal story of a local resident
Dreams Come True .... and other musings
by Mary Padget
Over 60 pages of articles written by one of Hatfield's best known teachers, this compilation includes articles previously published in the Church Magazine and national publications
The Workhouse - Fact versus Fiction
by Caroline Hill
Out of Print £3.50
A comparison of Hatfield Workhouse with Literature's view of workhouse life
My Life at the Vineyard, Hatfield Park - 1892-1942
by Alice Blaxill Hemmings
In May 1611 the new Hatfield House, built by Robert Cecil the 1st Earl of Salisbury, was ready for occupation. The gardens had been planned and planted and had a flight of steps from the terrace, a bowling green and a maze within: the proximity of the house. Away from the house and leading to the river Lea was "the Dell' consisting of topiary yew trees, lawns and gardens. On the far side of the river some 20,:000 vines, procured for the earl by the wife of the French Ambassador, were planted. Consequently "The Dell" became known as "The Vineyard" although with time the vines became worn out: and were not replaced. The gardens were also∑ stocked with cherry trees, nectarines and liquorice. The kitchen garden supplied fruit and vegetables to the House.
In February 1892 William Hemmings moved into the Vineyard as gardener, with his wife Alice and their four children. At the start of WWII; at the age of 76, Alice was persuaded to write her memories of life at the Vineyard, the laughter, the tears and the recollection of two world wars.
[The is a web page for Hatfield House]
Queen Hoo, The Story of the Manor and the Hall
Nestling just outside Welwyn and Hatfield on the road between Datchworth and Bramfield lies the manor of Queen Hoo, recorded even before Domes day, in c1060. The hall, built as a farm house c1589, has had very little changes in the way of extensions since then but has been leased or rented over the years. A detailed research into its history was commissioned in 1987 by the present owners and from that has been prepared this story of the manor and the hall. The report comprises some 60 A4 sheets including reports on manorial documents, derivation of the name, details of owners and tenants with dates, the construction of the house and a report on the wall paintings. The story is made available by Hatfield Local History Society with the kind permission of the owners.
[picture of Queen Hoo Hall]
Glebe Cottages Hatfield
by Joy Emerton
Built in 1892 these 30 cottages are the only remaining group of Victorian houses left in Hatfield. Fortuitously overlooked by the New Towns Commission and the Development Corporation they were not even included in the WEA booklets "Hatfield and its people". To mark the centenary of their origin, in 1992 Joy Emerton undertook the research into the building and occupation of these delightful red brick homes. A very comprehensive listing of all the people who had lived here over the period together with anecdotes and memories of the residents make this fascinating reading. Fully illustrated with photographs of people who lived here we are grateful that Joy has agreed to its publication with any proceeds being generously donated to the Society.
Hatfield Collegiate Schools - Dagmar & Alexandra Houses
by Frank J Cox
Research by Hatfield Local History Society has revealed the history of the school since its foundation c1855 until its closure in 1934. Of 21 names inscribed on a First World War memorial recently found in a boarding house on the Somme Battlefield 19 heroes have been identified with brief details of their service and families. The family story of the school founder, lists of pupils who boarded at the school and reports of school prize giving etc. combine with photographs to make this a fascinating account of a school for young gentlemen and its associated Alexandra House School for young ladies
The Early Days of De Havilland at Hatfield
by Don Lawrence
In the 1 920s the de Havilland School of Flying was operating from thee Company's aerodrome at Stag Lane but the increasing housing development had made the company look for an alternative location. After flying over several different areas a site at Hatfield seemed to be the best choice and a satisfactory deal was done with the owner to build an aerodrome on Sinclair's Farm adjacent to the Barnet Bye-Pass in Hatfield, to be ready by 1930. Don Lawrence, who when 16 years old started work in 1930 as a trainee Ground Engineer with the De Havilland School of Flying at Hatfield, recalls those days
The Story of the de Havilland Factory Bombing
3rd October 1940
By Terry Pankhurst
The Society also produces a quarterly newsletter