Newsells is a hamlet in the parish of Barkway.
The back of the postcard reads:
Just a line to say this place is grand for anyone which likes walking. Father go out with Uncle Jim in morning come in to dinner then off again after dinner till tea time and then they have gone after tea till about 9 o'clock. Love from all.
In 1882 this house was the home of Hugh Henry Rose, Baron Strathnairn (1801-1885) who was a field-marshal who commanded the army in India.
The Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (1910) wrote:
NEWSELLS HOUSE, nearly a mile N. of the church, is a two-storeyed brick building, probably of late 17th-century date, with modern additions. The plan was apparently rectangular, with two wings projecting slightly to the S., but in the 19th century the ground floor space between them was enclosed to form a hall, and other wings were added. A moulded stone cornice, enriched with brackets, and a parapet are carried round the building. The windows have wood sash frames. Most of the principal rooms have white marble fireplaces and ornamented plaster ceilings. On the dining room walls are carvings in wood of fruit and flowers in the style of Grinling Gibbons, and the mouldings of the doors and windows are also carved.
A stone mortar with handles, probably of the 15th century, is kept in one of the outbuildings, and in the walls of a " grotto" or summer house are fragments of 17th and 18th-century carved stones; two of them represent goats' heads in low relief.
Condition - House, good.
Unfortunately the building was destroyed by fire in the Second World War.