Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire


 Theobalds Park

In the ancient parish of Cheshunt, not far from Waltham Cross

See also The Palace of Theobalds in the 16th & 17th Century




East Front of Theobalds Park in 1937
The central part was built in the 1760s. The tower and domestic quarters at the south end were added by Sir H. B, Meux in 1887 and the ballroom wing at the north end was added about 1912. Picture from Cheshunt's Past in Pictures

Of great interest to visitors [to Waltham Cross], however, and about 1 mile West from the Cross. is Theobald's Park, a brick mansion erected about 130 years back by Sir G. W. Prescott, Bart. At one of the entrances to the park stands Temple Bar, brought here from Fleet Street and erected in its present position in 1888. The house does not occupy the site of the historic manor house visited by so many sovereigns, which stood on a slight eminence some distance to the North West. ...

Hertfordshire Little Guide 1903

Theobalds - from Dr David Hughson's Description of London; drawn and engraved by Ellis; Published by J Stratford, 114 Holborn Hill, Dec 13, 1806


The Park,


The Theobalds
Spencer's Series No 66
Posted 1912


Published by W.H. Clarke, 175 High Street, Waltham Cross


Temple Bar


Old Temple Bar
Published by Shurrey
posted 1909


Old Temple Bar,
Postcard by Raphael Tuck, posted 1904


Temple Bar was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1672 to replace the earlier City of London gate destroyed by the Great Fire, and was one of the last of the old city gates to survive. But because of the enormous growth in London traffic during the Victorian era, it was demolished in 1878, and acquired by Sir Henry Meux as the entrance to the family estate at Theobalds Park. In recent years the statues have been removed and the structure boarded up to prevent further dilapidation.

In December 2003 The Guardian reported that it was being taken down again return to the City of London. It will be used as the entrance gateway to the Paternoster Square development next to St Paul's Cathedral.

The Hertfordshire Building Preservation Trust Newsletter for Winter 2004 includes a picture of Temple Bar on its new site in Paternoster Square.

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.


February 2010   1906 engraving added
March 2010   Shurrey's post card of Temple Bar added