Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Gilston

 

Places

Gilston

Gilston  Published W. Lyon - Posted 1904

The picture shows a ford. with a footpath going over a bridge to the right of the picture.

 

gilston-village-scene

Gilston - probably 1920'd

 
St Mary's Church
Gilston Park
 
 
 
   
 

Selected Answers

 
 
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

Gilston is a village in the Braughin Hundred, 25 miles from London, 1 mile from Burntmill Station, and 4 miles west from Sawbridgeworth, with an area of 920 acres, and a population, in 1841, of 246. Here is an old church. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of London; the Rev. George Moody is the incumbent. The assessment to the Income Tax was 1,157 , in 1842.

Moody Rev. George [rector]
Pearse Brice esq
Camp Robert, blacksmith
Forster Mrs Mary, 'Plumer Ward's Arms'
 Harding Mrs. farmer
Herrington Joseph, farmer
Pryor James, farmer
Letters received thro' Sawbridgeworth

Post Office Directory, Hertfordshire, 1851