Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

High Wych

Part of Sawbridgeworth until 1862

 

Places

High Wych

Sawbridgeworth

High Wych is a village which was formed into a separate civil parish from Sawbridgeworth by Local Government Board Order No. 41,642, April 1, 1901; it is situated on the borders of Herts, 2 miles from Sawbridgeworth station on the London and North Eastern (Cambridge) Railway, 6 miles south from Bishop's Stortford and 10 miles east from Hertford, in the Hertford division of the county, Braughing Hundred, Bishop's Stortford petty sessional division, county court district, and union, and in the fural deanery of Bishop's Stortford and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans. The ecclesiastical parish was formed March 25, 1862, St James' church, erected in 1861, is a building of flint abd stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch and a small turret at the south-west angle containing a clock and one bell; all the windows are stained, and in 1871 a marble reredos was set up; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from 1862. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 310, including 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of the vicar of Sawbridgeworth, and held since 1929 by the Rev. Alfred Salter Buckland A.K.O.L who resides in Bishop's Stortford. The Mission church of St. Anne, at Allen's Green, consists of chancel and nave only. Arthur Salvin Bowlby esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor, T. T. Streeter esq. Miss V. Fane and Sir Edmund Broughton Barnard O.B.E., D.L., J.P. are the chief landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 3,961 acres; the population in 1921 was 689 in the civil and 694 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Kelly's Directory for Hertfordshire, 1929

High Wych (9 miles S.E.) is an extensive parish which includes Great Pennys, Trimms Green, Sacombs Ash, Aliens Green, Chandlers, Carters, Rook End, Hoskins and Sayes Park. High Wych, close to Sawbridgeworth, has a late 19th century church with a handsome marble reredos. The moated site is all that remains of the medieval residence of Mathams.

Braughing Rural District Official Guide 1971

 

The High Wych Memorial Hall was built after the First World War and its web site has information on the history of the

 St James, High Wych - see Church Web Site

There are more pictures of the church on Geograph

 

"The biggest event of Mr. Wilkins' ministry, and the one giving him the greatest satisfaction, was the building in 1861 of the High Wych church and school and the inauguration of High Wych as a separate parish. In 1860 a fund for the erection of a church and school at High Wych was started by a donation of 1,500 from the Reverend H. F. Johnson, who also offered his services as unpaid curate until such time as an incumbency could be instituted. It was estimated that the church would cost about 2,000 and the school for about 100 children, with a residence for the mistress, about 1,000. An endowment was also necessary for the provision of the incumbent's stipend and the cost of the Vicarage was estimated at about 1,500. By the end of the year about 5,000 had been raised ... ..."

extract from The Story of Sawbridgeworth Part 2

Living at Burnt Mill Corner, Sawbridgeworth, in 1861

DENNIS, Henry Head 46 Agricultural Labourer Parndon, Essex
DENNIS, Mary A Wife 41   Parndon, Essex
DENNIS, Henry Son 16 Agricultural Labourer Netteswell, Essex
DENNIS, James Son 13 Agricultural Labourer Netteswell, Essex
DENNIS, Mary A Dau. 10 Scholar Sawbridgeworth
DENNIS, Louisa Dau. 8 Scholar Sawbridgeworth
DENNIS, Thomas Son 4   Sawbridgeworth
DENNIS, Richard Son 4   Sawbridgeworth
DENNIS, Charles Son 1   Sawbridgeworth

 

 

Sampler made by Mary Dennis at High Wych School

from The Story of Sawbridgeworth Part 3

See also Vital Records

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

April 2010   External Links added
February 2012   Significant updates