Other Views of



Parsonage Farm, Rickmansworth

Published by E. S. Brown, Rickmansworth
circa 1905
(back identical to Shepherds Farm card)

(also known uncoloured)

Kelly's 1908 shows Philip Thornton lived at the farm

E S Brown was a stationer & fancy repository
High Street, Rickmansworth

See also post card by A. Darrah, of Rickmansworth



Basing House is one of the best-known buildings in the town. The house was constructed in 1740 on the site of the house where William Penn and his wife, Gulielma lived from 1672-76. Additions were made in the early nineteenth century and the house became a school bu 1839. A century ago it was owned by Roderick William Henderson, a local JP. It became council offices in 1930 and fart now houses the excellent Three Rivers Museum.

Around Rickmansworth


In this view the five almshouses are shown with their last occupant, Mrs Coleman, before demolition in the early 30's. They were built in 1682 by John Fotherley for "five poor widows" and consisted of one room. The building that replaced them was occupied by Woolworths for some 30 years, and still bears the stone plaque seen above two doorways in the picture.

Rickmansworth - A Glimpse of the Past

January 2011   Page created