West Hyde

Rickmansworth

 

 

The following description comes from Guide to Hertfordshire, by An Old Inhabitant (1880)

An Ecclesiastical District was formed at West Hyde, in 1846, and a new Church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was erected in 1845, at a cost of about 2200. The structure is of a cruciform shape, in the Norman style, and is built of flint, with stone dressings; there is a fine stained-glass east window, and accommodation for over 300 persons. The living is a Vicarage, of the yearly value .of about 320, with a residence, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Albans. West Hyde is about two and a-half miles from Rickmansworth, on the road to Uxbridge. There is a good National School, built in 1862, and recently enlarged, and a paper-mill on the River Colne. The population is 493; and the number of acres, 1650.

St Thomas, West Hyde, Rickmansworth

St Thomas

 

West Hyde Church

 

Published by French, Baker,

West Hyde

[card back c1904]

Churches

 

St Thomas Web Site

109  Methodist chapel and Pleasant Place Cottages, West Hyde. The cottages were probably built about 1783. The first dissenting meeting house in West Hyde dates from 1814 but this Methodist chapel was built in 1875 by Billy Saunders, the baker, in his front garden, Services were held there until 1912 when it became a fish and chip shop.

Rickmansworth - A Pictorial History

 
  May Cottage, West Hyde, 1920. This is one of the oldest buildings in the area and dates from the early seventeenth century. The people are believed to be Jack and Doris Davis..

Rickmansworth. Chorleywood & Croxley Green

 

January 2011   Page created
December 2014    PC of St Thomas added