Totteridge

This was a detached chapel of Hatfield parish, and was almost completely surrounded by Middlesex but with a boundary with East Barnet. In 1892 it became a separate parish and since 1965 it has been part of the Borough of Barnet, Greater London

 

It is in Broadwater Hundred and Barnet Union

From Dury & Andrews 1766 map of Hertfordshire

Totteridge, on the Middlesex border, is 1 mile west from the Station (G.N.R). Richard Baxter lived here for a short time. The neighbourhood is well wooded and very pleasing to the eye. The church, on the hill-top, dates only from 1790; but the site was occupied by an earlier structure. The memorials are of no historic interest; but near the enormous yew tree in the churchyard stands the tomb of the first Lord Cottenham (d 1851). Near by, too, lies Sir Lucas Pepys, physician to George III (d 1830).

Totteridge Park, west from the village, was the residence of Baron Bunsen, and of the above-mentioned Lord Cottenham; the large plain structure in which they lived, recently in part rebuilt, was erected about a century ago, taking the place of the fine old manor house, for some generations the home of the Lee family.

At Copped Hall, near the church, the late Cardinal Manning was born in 1808.

Hertfordshire Little Guide 1903

 

Totteridge, Herts

Published Feb 24th, 1809, by S. Woodburn, No 112, St Martin's Lane, London.

This was published in Volume 2 of  Ecclesiastical Topography - A Collection of 100 Views of Churches in the environs of London, edited by Samuel Woodburn and published by William Miller in 1811.

Totteridge Parish Church 
Published by G. Smith, Allerton Road, N. Undivided back posted in 1903

Totteridge Church and the Old Yew Tree 
Postcard published by Gordon Smith, 15 Stroud Green Road, N. and posted in 1908

Book: A Short History of Totteridge - includes parish registers to 1837

Census: 1861: Parts of area included in Middlesex It includes Totteridge Park School - with a long list of boarding pupils.

 

In the Hundred of Broadwater is 'Totteridge', a very pleafant Village, on a fine Eminence, looking to the North over St Alban's Road, into the Fore11:, and on the South over the Edgeware Road to Harrow. 'Tis a very clean Place, has feveral very good Houfes, and is well known to the Citizens of London, who frequently take a Ride hither for the Air. It has its Name from its Situation on the Ridge of a Hill. 'Tis reckoned an Hamlet to Hatfield, and its Tithes are paid to the Rector of Hatfield, who is obliged to find a Curate to serve its Chapel; yet fince Queen Elizabetb, it has been reputed a diftinct Parish; for the Inhabitants choofe their own Conftables, Church. Wardens, and Overfeers of the Poor, and pay neither to the Church nor Poor at Hatfield. Here is an handfome Houfe of the late Lord Bateman, and another of Mr. Decofta, a wealthy Jew.

The Agreeable Historian, 1746

 

More cards by  Gordon Smith, 15 Stroud Green Road, N

The Lower Green, Totteridge
Not numbered, posted 1908

~~~~


The Village, No 95, posted 1908

ON THE WEB

There is a very useful document - Totteridge Conservation Area: Character Appraisal Statement - at http://www.barnet.gov.uk/totteridge.pdf which provides detailed maps of the old parts of Totteridge and some background history. It is a planning document produced by the Barnet Council.

Quick links to extra postcard images.
click on thumbnail picture

Totteridge Church

The Village
 
     
August 2010   1809 Print of the church
August 2010   Description from 1746