The Hemel Hempstead Poor Law Union comprises the parishes of Bovingdon, Flamstead, Flaunden, Great Gaddesden, Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley.
Hemel Hempstead Workhouse
In 1882 it was described as "a plain but substantial building of brick, with a good frontage & stands of 4 acres of land, part of which is cultivated as kitchen garden. There is space in the main building for 220 inmates. In 1869 a new infirmary was built, containing 40 beds. J. BURNETT, master; Rev W O THOMPSON, MA, chaplain; Russell STEELE, Queen Street, surgeon; Mrs BURNETT, matron."
In 1916 a 24 bed Children's Home was opened.
From various Kelly's Directories
Sometime after the 2nd World War the "Poor Law Institution" became a maternity hospital, which was called St Paul's. Some years ago it was demolished - and part of the site was sold off for housing and an acute mental health 24 bed unit was constructed on the remainder, as what is called Slipper Hill on modern street maps. Shortly before it was to be opened in the mid 1990s it was discovered that it could not be used for the purpose for which it was constructed. It is now the base for the local Community Mental Health Team and an out-of-hours doctor service.
See also The History of Workhouses
Page updated December 2007