Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Clothall

 

Places

Clothall


Luffenhall Farm - from The Hertfordshire Landscape

CLOTHALL, a parish in the hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 2 miles (S.E.) frpm Baldock, containing 358 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 16.0.7., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is built of flint and stone, and has a square tower surmounted by a spire; it contains several ancient effigies and inscriptions in brass. Here was a free chapel, or college, of ancient foundation, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, for a master, brethren, and sisters, which was valued at 4.2.8., and continued until the dissolution. Thomas Stanley, son of Sir Thomas Stanley, Knt., and author of The History of the Philosophers, was born here, in 1625; he died in 1678, and was buried in the parish church.

Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

   
 
   
 

Selected Answers

 
 
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.


Clothall Church
from A Pilgrimage in Hertfordshire

The Church of St Mary the Virgin is an ancient edifice of stone and flint, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, with a chapel on the south side, and an embattled tower at the south-west angle containing two bells, inscribed but undated: the entrance to the church is under the tower: in the east window there remains a fragment of old stained glass, representing St. Mary Magdalene, removed from the chapel of the Hospital demolished shortly after the Dissolution: in the chancel are brasses with effigies in good preservation to John Vynter, rector, ob. 1404; John Wright, "in decretis bacallaurius," master of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and rector here, ob. 1519, with effigy holding a chalice and wafer; ...: there are 150 sittings, 110 being free. The register dates from 1717. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 517, with 53 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Salisbury and held since 1909 by the Rev. Arthur Richard Buckland M.A. of Keble College, Oxford.

Kelly's Directory, 1912

Clothall Church interior, Hertfordshire  

 

Interior Clothall Church

no publisher - No.146P

 used circa 1908

 

unrestored original

clothall-church-brown-1903  


Clothall Church
Publisher, J. Brown, Baldock
posted 1903

     
Permanent Link   www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/links/clothall.htm
November 2012   Page reformated with new menu