Beechwood Park, Flamstead
From J. P. Neale's
Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen
Flamstead has an excellent Free School, endowed by the late Sir John S. Sebright, with £57 per annum; there are other Charities to the amount of £90 per annum, and twenty Almshouses for poor widows, founded in 1669 by Thomas Saunders, Esq., of Beechwood. ...
About one mile from the Village is BEECHWOOD PARK, celebrated for its fine beech trees. The Park is extensive and well-wooded, and the Mansion, which is the residence of Sir J. G. Saunders Sebright, Bart., contains some handsome apartments, in which are a number of fine old family pictures. There was originally here a Benedictine monastery, called St. Giles-in-the-Wood, which at the Dissolution was granted to Sir Richard Page, from whom it descended to the Skipworth and Saunders families, and then, by marriage, to an ancestor of the present proprietor. Chauncy has preserved a tradition that Edward VI. was sent to the house of Sir Richard Page when an infant, for the preservation of his health.
There is extensive information on the Saunders and Sebright families, and the house/estate in A New History of Flamstead and Flamstead - The Listed Buildings
Reference: Arthur Sebright, a Victorian ne'er-do-well: The story of a Flamstead Younger Son
|September 2012||Page created|