Kings Langley

Part of the parish became Chipperfield in 1863 and another part was transferred to the new parish of Apsley in 1873.


Published by E. H. Macmillan, Kings Langley - Posted 1907

Map from Hemel Hempstead Rural District Official Guide (1971)

The following description (but not the pictures) comes from Watford and its surroundings - Homeland Guide published in 1906.

From Langleybury Church the road is as straight as a die. About a quarter of a mile on, after leaving on the left the private road to King's Langley Lodge, we noticed on the right a public footpath which leads to the railway station. we, however, continue forward, and another quarter of a mile or so brings us in sight of King's Langley Church, which stands at the south entrance to the village. We are now treading historic ground; and before examining the many objects of interest which the Church contains, will recall some of the more important names and incidents, and visit the ruins, that have served to make King's Langley not a little famous.

An early 19th century view of Kings Langley valley
Note All Saint's Church in the distance, and a barge on the canal in the foreground
From Kings Langley - A Hertfordshire Village

The first turning on the left past the Church brings us to what remain of the ruins of Langley Palace, which, according to some authorities, was built by Henry III, and according to others, by some person or persons unknown.

Be that as it may, there remain plenty of evidence and numerous records of the many great personages who have dwelt at different times within the old palace. For instance, we read of Edward I staying here with his court for several weeks, to the great disgust of the inhabitants of the surrounding country; for it is said that, while Longshanks did not hesitate to lay his hands on the provisions of his dutiful subjects, by some strange lapse of memory he forgot to pay for them. In 1299 Edward, with his second Queen, Margaret, again entertained noble company at Langley Palace; but as there is no record of a renewal of the bitter lamentations of the inhabitants of the district, on this occasion, presumably, the lengthy monarch paid for whatsoever he appropriated. [There continues a lengthy history of later Medieval Royal associations, etc]

  Kings Langley Parish Church
  Kings Langley in 1746
  Kings Langley in the early 19th century
  Nash Mill Railway Bridge
London-Birmingham Railway
  Kings Langley Lock
Grand Union Canal
  Some Street Scenes
  WW1 Church Parade


The Mill, Kings Langley and other views by Wrench.



Coombe Hill School

AKA Priory School


Selected Answers

  Doolittle, Kings Langley, late 18th/early 19th century
  But Where is Doo Little?
  William Veyse (re bricks used in Kings Langley Palace)
  CARTER, Kings Langley
  The Old Red Lion, Kings Langley
  GINGER, Kings Langley, circa 1800
  If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

The Old Priory, Kings Langley
No date and no publisher - but an earlier version with the same picture was published in the "Bedwell Series" and posted in 1904.

Leavng the old Priory and the ruined Palace of ancient Kings, \\'e retrace our steps to the village, and direct our attention to King's Langley Church, which is a perpendicular structure of flint and Totternhoe stone, and is dedicated to All Saints. The square west tower is embattled, and has an angle turret and a flint and stone porch. [See Kings Langley Parish Church  for the rest of the description of the church].

Having strolled about the large and interesting village, the chief industries of which are paper making and straw plaiting, we cross the Gade by one of the two bridges with which it is here spanned, and bearing south, passing the railway station and the Booksellers' Provident Retreat, which was erected in 1849 for the accommodation of aged members of the Booksellers' Provident Institution and their widows, take the left-hand road to Abbot's Langley, which is one and a half miles to the south-east.


Books   Web Sites

Kings Langley Local History & Museum Society - Their website, re-launched in 2011, has a history section with a good range of interesting topics, with pictures, which I am sure will grow over the years. There are also  details of their publication, forthcoming events, etc.

Our Dacorum (associated with Hertfordshire Memories)



The Ovaltine Factory and Farms at Kings Langley


December 2009


Page restructured with new material

March 2010


PC of Common Lane

June 2010


Link to P C of Church Parade

September 2010


Kings Langley in 1746

January 2011   Updte of History Society Web Site
May 2011   Additional picture (via thumb) of the Priory