Mill End

formerly part of

 Rickmansworth

 
The following description comes from Guide to Hertfordshire, by An Old Inhabitant (1880)

Mill End, another Hamlet, one mile south-west of Rickmansworth, has a small Church dedicated to St. Peter, built of flint, with Bath-stone dressings, the site for which was given by Lord Ebury. It was erected in 1874-5, at a cost of over 3,000. At the west end is a bell turret, and in the interior are several windows of tinted glass. There is an exquisitely stained-glass window at the east end, highly-polished pine sittings in the nave and transepts, and solid oak stalls in the chancel. The living is a perpetual Curacy.

The Baptists have a Chapel here. There are also a paper-mill, tannery, and brewery.

Shepherds Farm, Rickmansworth

Published by E. S. Brown, Rickmansworth
post 1905

There is at Mill End an old timber-framed farmhouse known as Shepherds Farm. ...The earliest known reference to Shepherds Farm is in a subsidy roll dated 1294, which records the name of Robert Le Schephard. The next name of interest is that of Robert Lane, whose name is given in the subsidy roll of 1534, and it is with this family who farmed the property for nearly 300 years the Shepherds Farm is so closely linked. ... ...

... it passed from father to son until 1773, when the occupier at that date, Joseph Lane, sold the property to a Joseph Swannell. By 1839 the property had again been sold, this time to the Thelluson trustees, by whom it was farmed for a number of years. They also erected a new farmhouse, the old house being let to one of the farm hands and for the lodging of single men employed there.

from an article in Hertfordshire Countryside, Autumn 1959.

 

 

Rickmansworth, Mill End Church 1897 39682

The hamlet of Mill End, about a mile west of the centre of Rickmansworth, grew up along the main road to Uxbridge to serve a watermill and factories. Originally it was only served by a Congregational Chapel, but later acquired an Anglican church, St Peter the Apostle, seen here from a field, now a car park, and a Church of England primary school. The church is marred nowadays by a gruesome 1970s extension to form a church hall. The hamlet is now greatly expanded to the north and merges with Rickmansworth.

Amersham, Chesham & Rickmansworth

Uxbridge Road looking East shows on the left the Smithy, and on the right, a building with projecting windows which at one time was the public house, "The Spotted Dog."

Rickmansworth - A Glimpse of the Past

 

 

93  The Vine public house in Uxbridge Road, Mill End was opposite the Rose and Crown, at the bottom of Church Lane, and sold Watford Ales. On the other side of the main road was Horwood's; their sign advertising steam rollers for hire can be seen. The Ebenezer Chapel is in the background.

Rickmansworth - A Pictorial History

 

     
September 2010   Extra PC added