A Walk through Tring in Early Picture Postcards
mainly by local photographers
High Street (West) & Western Road
High Street, Tring - probably by S. G. Payne circa 1903
The new market house was opened in July 1900, and this picture shows it as it was originally - with an open ground floor - and before the police station was built. (compare with following picture).
The policeman is standing at the town centre cross roads and the building in the distance behind him is the old school house, which has now been demolished. There are a number of school children in the picture and perhaps it was taken just after the school broke up for the day.
On the north (right-hand) side of the street the buildings have remained relatively unchanged over the last 100 years. The George Hotel is now an estate agent and the low shed is a sandwich shop. Further up Grace's hardware shop is still there - with an old sign saying it has been established for over 200 years.
High Street, Tring - Valentine
(80688 JV - 1915)
High Street, Tring
On your left there is the Conservative club, with Grace's hardware store beyond. On your right is the Post Office. Versions of this card without the stagecoach also exist. (see Dating Problems).
See also Gower Brothers in World War One.
| High Street, Tring
S. G. Payne & Sons, Aylesbury
This view was published earlier, with no publisher information, and an undivided back. There are some other similar cards, and they may all have been produced by S. G. Payne.
Western Road, Tring - Published by F. Jacklin & Son, Western Road, Tring in RA series, posted in 1931.
This view is looking East down the High Street towards the town centre,. The telegraph pole is adjacent to the school. The high roofed building on the right is the High Street Baptist Chapel, where the foundation stones were laid in 1889 (see MARNHAM, Boxmoor, late 19th century). The view is comparatively unchanged and the newsagent is still trading. It should be noted that west end of the High Street was formerly part of Western Road.
Western Road, Tring
This view is looking back towards the town centre and is taken at a cross-roads with Chapel Street coming in from the right, and Miswell Lane off to the left.
Page updated October 2008