Answers to Questions


Pupils and Masters at Haileybury, 1867-1871

August, 2009




The following portraits come from a collection of Carte de Visite, presumably made by a pupil at Haileybury in about 1871, which started to appear on ebay in late July 2009. As portraits for sale appeared I added thumbnails and a brief biography taken from Haileybury Register 1863-1910 augmented in some cases by census returns, FreeBMD, and a quick google search. The aim was to make a record of this unique collection, which has now been broken up. If you can add further information please let me know.

Pupils with Hertfordshire connections


Henry James Oddie, born on 28  October 1853, at Aston, Hertfordshire, was the son of George Augustus Oddie, Rector of Aston,  and Anne Venebles. He was at Haileybury between 1868 and 1872 and then went to the Royal Indian Engineering College at Cooper's Hill (1873-76) before going to work for the Public Works Department, India. In 1885 he married Ella Grace, daughter of H. R. Goodall, Barrister-at-Law, and he retired in 1903. In 1910 he gave his address as 11 St  Michael's Place, Brighton. He died in 1923. His brothers (George Venables, Arthur Thellusson, Charles Walter, Thomas Edmund, Algernon Boch, Reginald Augustus and Lewis Gilbert) all went to Haileybury.


Other Pupils with no other known Hertfordshire Connections


Frederick Neville Carus-Wilson, born August 1856, was born at Eastry, Kent, the son of the Rev. C. Carus Wilson, of Ramsgate. He was at Haileybury between 1870 and 1872, before going to to Trinity College, Cambridge. He was ordained to St John, Depford in 1879 and married Frances Elizabeth Denny in 1884. He became Vicar of Nonington, Kent, in 1885, and Rector of Sunbridge, near Sevenoaks, in 1898, where he was listed as living in 1910. He died in August 1940.His brother Henry also went to Haileybury, as did some other members of the Carus-Wilson family.


Francis Weldon Champneys, born 5 April 1855, the son of Rev. C. F. Champneys of Wendover, near Tring. He was at Haileybury 1867 to 1873, having previously been at Malvern College, and went to St John's College Oxford, playing rugby against Cambridge on three occasions. He was ordained to Woking, Surrey, in 1879 and became personal chaplain to the Marquis of Camden in 1887. In 1896 he married Edith Harris and also became Vicar of Rottingdean. He was Rector of St. Deny's Church, Rotherfield, near Tunbridge Wells, between 1898 and 1912 and died in 1929. His brother Charles Edward Champneys also went to Haileybury, and became assistant master at Bengeo, Hertford, dying at Trinity Grove, Bengeo, in 1879.


Henry Colbeck, born 1854 at Fressingfield, was the son of Rev. W. R. Colbeck, Vicar of Fressingfield, Sussex. He was at Haileybury from 1866 to 1873 and went to Keble College Oxford. In 1881 he was a private tutor living in Congleton, Cheshire. He died in 1934. His brother, Arthur George Colbeck, also went to Haileybury.


Ernest Edward Cooper, born 16 January 1854, was the son of H. Cooper, Esq., of Shrewsbury Lane, Shooters Hill, London S.E. He was at Haileybury between 1867 and 1871 and worked in the Exhibition of Philadelphia, and in the Vienna Exhibition, until his death in July 1876.

The photograph was taken by Elsden of Hertford.


Frederick Edward Cripps, born 1855, was the son of H. W. Cripps, Q.C. of Parmore, near Hambledon, Henley on Thames. He went to Haileybury in 1868 and died there in 1871 and there is a memorial in the school chapel.


Richard Boileau Gaisford, born 14 December 1854, was the son of Rev. Stephen Henry Gaisford, rector of Cowthorpe, Wetherby, Yorkshire. He was at Haileybury between 1867 and 1873, and then went to St. John's College, Oxford, playing rugby for Oxford against Cambridge. He married Ellen Elsy, omly daughter of the late Major-General S. Lindsay. He joined the army and had a distinguished career. In 1910 he gave his address as Col. R. B. Gaisford, Conynger Hurst, Ulverston, or Naval & Military Club. Who's Who (1918) lists him as Brigadier-General Gaisford.


Gerard Boileau Gurney was born in 1856, the son of Rev. William Hay Gurney, North Runcon Rectory, Kings Lynn and Anna Maria Boileau. He was at Haileybury between 1868 and 1872. He emigrated to Australia and died in 1903. His Brother, Mortimer Hay Gurney, also attended Haileybury, and went to Canada.


Charles Gathorne Hill, was born in 1857, the son of C. Hill, Esq, Clevedon Hill and Hazel Manor, Combe Martin, Somerset. He was at Haileybury 1871-1873 and went into business in Bristol, where he became a J.P. for Gloucester and Somerset. He was a Major in the N. Somerset Yeomanry. He married Gertrude Isabella Mortimer in 1883 and was living at Hazel Manor in 1910. He died in 1934. [He played rugby for Clifton RFC - see newsletter]

  Edmund Whytehead Howson  

Sanford William Hutchinson, born. 26 October 1853, at Hanford, Staffordshire. the son of Rev William and Caroline Hutchinson, Blurton Vicarage, Stoke on Trent. Staffordshire. He was a pupil at Haileybury between 1867 and 1871, went to New College, Oxford, and in 1910 was Church of England curate at Blurton. He died and was buried in Blurton in 1919. In the 1871 census he is listed as a pupil at Haileybury (indexed as Sandford D  Hutchinson on Ancestry). In 1901 he was still unmarried and living with his 90 year old father at Blurton. Further information is available for Sanford Hutchinson in the 1861, 1881, and 1891 census on Ancestry. Sanford wrote the book The Archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent: Historical Notes, etc. published in 1893, and also published some parish registers. He was the brother of the British sculptor, Allan Hutchinson, (1855-1929) [Reference]

The photograph was taken by Elsden of Hertford.

  Sydney Rhodes James  
  Charles Merivale  

Lionel Sumner Milford



William Knox Ormsby was born in 1854, the only son of Rev. W. A. Ormsley, Rector of Smallburgh, Rural Dean of Waxham and Hon. Canon of Norwich, J.P.  William was at Haileybury from 1865 to 1872, before going to Trinity College, Oxford. Following ordination he went to Merton, N. Devon, then Eaton, Norwich (1885-1894), becoming Vicar of Hopton St Margaret, Great Yarmouth.


Herbert Pelham, was the son of John Thomas Pelham, Bishop of Norwich, and was born in 1855. He was at Haileybury 1869-1874 and went to Magdalen College, Oxford, and was in the Oxford boat 1877-8. He was ordained as Curate at St. Philip, Heigham, diocese of Norwich in 1878 but died in a fall on a mountain above Glion, near Montreaux in May 1881. There is a memorial in the school chapel.


Francis Henry Sumner was born in 1853, the fifth son of Judge Charles Sumner (1819-1885), Gloucestershire County Court and Margaret Boulcott (1821-1897). He was at Haileybury from 1866 to 1872 and went to Trinity College, Cambridge. He was ordained from Wells Theological College going to Penistone, Yorkshire, He was Vicar of Hurstbourne Tarrant before becoming Vicar of All Saints, Alton, Hants. Brothers who went to Haileybury were Frederick Maunoir Sumner (born 1849, living in San Diego, California, in 1909) and Cecil Charles Ridley Sumner (born 1952, died in Los Angles in 1900)


Pryor Buxton Whalley was born in 1857, the son of the Rev. James P. Whalley, Wretham Rectory, Thetford. He was at Haileybury 1869 to 1875. He went to  Merton College Oxford and was assistant master at All Saints, Bloxham 1879-82 and at Cuddesdon 1883. He was ordained in 1883 to East and West Wretham and appointed School Inspector to the Norwich Diocese 1888. He was Vicar of St. Marks, Lakenham in 1894, and became Diocesan Missioner at Lichfield in 1900. His address in 1910 was The Evangelist Brotherhood, Wolverhampton. He died at Chichester in 1943. His brother, Fredrick James Whalley, also attended Haileybury.


Edward Holmes Wilson was born in 1853, the son of the Rev, William Grieve Wilson, J.P, The Rectory, Forncett St Peter, Long Stratton, Norfolk. His mother was Marie Atkinson Holmes. She was the daughter of a famous mayor of Liverpool, Samuel Holmes. He went to Haileybury in 1868 but left in 1870 due to ill health, For a time he was a partner at the solicitors Gunner & Wilson, Newport, Isle of Wight, but went to Australia in 1886 for his health but only stayed there for a short while and returned to the Isle of Wight, where he was a solicitor at the time of the 1901 census.  [Includes information kindly supplied by Margaret Sproston.]



  Charles Davys Argles 


  Alfred Vivian Jones (1846/7-1909) was born in the West Indies circa 1846/7 got an B.A. (later upgraded to an M.A.) from Exeter College, Oxford. At the time of the 1871 census he was an assistant master at a school in Kidbrooke, Kent, but later in the year he became Choir Master master at Haileybury where he stayed until 1886. Afterwards he was a master at Sherborne School, Dorset, and later at a school in Eastbourne, where he died in 1909, apparently never marrying,  
  James Rhoades  
 August 2009.   Page created
October 2009   Biographies updated
September 2011   Charles G Hill link added
December 2011   Update to Edward Wilson