Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Ardeley Bury

 

Ardeley

 

Places

Ardeley


Early postcard of Ardeley Bury

Yardley is principally celebrated as the residence of Sir Henry Chauncy, the Historian of the County of Hertford. His history shews extensive knowledge and research, and although occasionally very discursive, displays much erudition on the part of its author, a great insight into the genealogical history of a vast number of noble and knightly families who have been residents in the County, or connected with it by various causes, and a great amount of general information. Sir Henry was a member of an ancient and honorable family, who came into England with the Conqueror, and whose name appears on the roll of Battle Abbey. In the reign of Richard n., they removed to Pishiobury, in the Parish of Sawbridgeworth, in this County; and in that of Elizabeth, to Yardleybury, which became their residence through a family marriage. Sir Henry was born here, and after completing his education at Cambridge, was called to the bar, and became a bencher of the Middle Temple, a Magistrate for Herts., and Steward of the Borough Court of Hertford. After a new Charter had been granted to Hertford by Charles II he was elected Recorder, which office he continued to hold till his death. He was married three times, had several children, died in the year 1700, and was buried with several of his ancestors in the family vault in the Church of the Village in which he was born. The old Manor House is seated in a Park, pleasantly diversified, formerly surrounded by a moat, which is now dry. It has the appearance of a castellated Mansion, and is a handsome and imposing structure, in the occupation of Mrs. Bastard.

Guide to Hertfordshire 1880

 

Extracts from Trade Directories

 

1866: The mansion of Ardeley Bury belongs to P. Longmore, Esq., and was formerly the residence of Sir Henry Chauncy, Knt., the historian of Hertfordshire, whose family leased the property from the Dean and Chapter of St Paul for about 200 years. It is now the residence of Charles James Bastard, Esq

 

1882: James J Scott, Ardeley Bury

 

1890: Captain James Thomas Scott, Ardeley Bury

 

1912:  The mansion of Ardeley Bury, standing in a park of 100 acres, is a fine structure of brick in the Castellated style, principally built in 1820, but there still remains a small portion of the old Elizabethan house, erected about 1581, and surrounded by a moat; there are also the remains of an ancient tower on the east side of the house; it was formerly the residence of Sir Henry Chauncey kt. the historian of Hertfordshire, who died in April, 1719; it is occupied by Colonel Hans Charles M Woods, late R.A.

 

1922: John Howard Carter,  J.P. Ardeley Bury

 

Some information on the moat is given on the Gatehouse web site

 

More modern pictures provided by Terry Hope

.