Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Long Marston

 

Places

Long Marston

Adjacent Parishes:  [Formerly part of Tring.] Aston Clinton (Bucks), Drayton Beauchamp (Bucks), Hulcott (Bucks), Marsworth (Bucks), Mentmore (Bucks), Puttenham, Tring, Wing (Bucks), Wingrave (Bucks)

It is in the hundred and modern borough of Dacorum

It was in the Berkhamsted Union

The church tower - all that was left when the old church was demolished in 1883
from Victoria County History of Hertfordshire

 


Area maps

Victoria County History

GENUKI Logo

War Memorial

x

There are problems over the church records of Long Marston, for which Bishop's transcripts exist from 1609-1641 , but which was considered as part of the parish of Tring. Before 1820 records were in the Tring Registers. Cussans suggests a reason which could explain the problems with Long Marston records. In the survey made in 1534, on the dissolution of the monasteries, the value of the rectory (i.e. the payment for the minister) was 77 13s 4d. In 1763 the value was only 40 plus 7 for Wigginton. Bearing in mind the large size of the rural part of Tring parish, including Long Marston, Cussans says "yet one man was supposed to supply the cure of [Tring, Long Marston and Wigginton] for an annual stipend of 47. It was easy to imagine in what manner the duties were performed."  However, it must also be remembered that this area was strongly non-conformist and, for example, around 1800 many of the local inhabitants would not have had their children baptised in a parish church. 

The above map of Long Marston was made by Robert Stephenson in about 1835 and shows a suggested route for the branch line to Aylesbury. In fact the line was built further north, opening in 1839. Marston Gate was initially only a level crossing, but is first listed as a passenger station in local timetables in 1863. The passenger service closed in 1953 and the line was closed for goods 10 years later. The Aylesbury Railway.

Marston Gate Station after the passenger service finished.

Long Marston is an Hamlet, which was waste Ground in the Time of the Conquerer; but having been long since improved, is now become a Part of the Parish of Tring: It was formerly the Possession of the Willimots and Saunders, but was not long since sold to Thomas Bromley, a Citizen of London, whose Son was afterwards Lord of it.

In this Hamlet is an handsome Church, or large Chapel, where the Dean and Chapter of Christ's Church in Oxford, who have the Impropriate Tithes of this place, are to find a Curate to officiate for the Ease of the Inhabitants,

The English Traveller, 1746

Well situate Roomy Premises and Baker's Shop at Long Marston, Herts

To be positively sold by auction by Messrs Gibbs and Sons, at the Plough Inn, Tring on Friday, the 3rd day of February, 1843, at Two o'clock, - in one lot, subject to conditions to be produced at the time of sale.

That brick-built and tiled roomy Dwelling House, with Bakehouse, and 10 bushel Oven, large Store Rooms, and Chambers over, situate in the most pleasant part of the hamlet of Long Marston, in the parish of Tring, late in the occupation of Mr. Newns. It has a COTTAGE attached, now used as a Chapel; a large barn, stable, cartshed, pigstyes, other offices, and good inclosed garden, all in a ring fence, and unconnected with any other property. It is copyhold, held of the Manor of Tring, and sold subject to the customs thereof. The fines and Quit-Rents are very small, which renders the estate equal to freehold.

May be seen any time prior to the sale; and particulars known of Messrs. Gibbs and Sons, estate-agents and auctioneers, Aylesbury.       The Aylesbury News, January 21, 1843

 

Apple Blossom at Long Marston
Photochrom postcard - The Times "Sprint Blossom" Series

 

Long Marston, near Tring
Chadwick's Series, High Street, Tring - Posted 1905
The view in this card is approximately what the horse rider in the previous card would see.

 
 

Long Marston
Posted 1941

The Church in 2006
click on thumbnail picture
[Picture of exterior to be taken when scaffolding is removed.]
All Saints Church, Long Marston
1883-1983

by M. C. Vincent, 1983
A5 Booklet, 32 pages with illustrations and map

Provides a useful history of the modern parish and church, with details of the various ministers. Also some useful information on the old church.
(Available in the church in 2006)

See also Vital Records

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

HOME

Updated December 2009 - Postcard showing village pump