Wiles & Lewis's Ariston Works
Bernards Heath, St Albans
WILES& LEWIS LTD.,
Suet Manufacturers and Fats Specialists, St. Albans.
It was in the reign of George III., at the time of the famous tea episode in Boston Harbour, that the original firm, now Messrs. Wiles & Lewis Ltd., made their first bow to the public. Fats they made their speciality and fats have remained their speciality for 150 years. At first both Edible and Commercial Fats were equally exploited, but of recent years the former have occupied the firm's attention. With a view to developing this side of the business, some years ago a piece of ground in the centre of Bernards Heath, just to the north-east of St. Albans, was purchased, and thereon a modern and finely-equipped factory was built. This building is now famous as the home of "Ariston" Refined Beef Suet, here produced under perfect health and hygienic conditions, and in the midst of the most delightful country.
Even those responsible for the promotion of this article were astonished at the strides which its sales have made. " Ariston " Suet is in use in every part of the world, and the demand has been such that a large extension has had to be built on to the factory. Even this does not adequately surmount the difficulty, and the addition of still more premises in the near future is contemplated.
From St Albans, The Official Guide, circa 1923
Example of Wiles & Lewis headed paper, used 1909 (image from ebay)
Ian Farrow writes from Northampton to say Our grandmother, Dorothy Maud Farrow, nee Welch, worked at Wiles and Lewis on Bernards Heath, St Albans. She recalled to us as young children, how she would box up the suet and enclosed in the boxes would be notes from the factory workers, which were sent out to the men in the War. Occasionally, they would respond/reply to the notes.
If you can add to the information given above tell me.
Page updated May 2005