Ayot St Peter

& Ayot Green

 

Detail of Charles Smith Map, 1808

AYOTT (ST. PETER), a parish in the hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Welwyn, containing 233 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon and the diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 7.8.6., and in the patronage of the Earl of Hardwicke. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, a neat octagonal building, was erected about 80 years ago, by the late rector, Dr. Freeman, who built also the steeple, on the opposite side of the churchyard.

Topographical Dictionary of England 1831


The Rectory, Ayot St Peter - posted 1907

About two miles and a half from Wheathamstead by a cross road we reach the very small Village of Ayott St. Peter, which until lately had a curious Church of an octagonal form, with a small detached brick turret as a bell tower in one corner of the churchyard. The Rev. Ralph Freeman, who became Rector of this Parish in 1782, according to Clutterbuck pulled down the old Church, and erected, entirely at his own expense, this curiously-shaped building, which a modern writer says looked very much like "a gigantic pigeon-house." This was replaced by a new Church, built in 1862 in the Norman style of architecture, which shortly after, on July 10th, 1874, was struck by lightning, and completely burned to the ground. A very handsome little Church has now been erected in its stead, which forms a prominent and pleasing object in the landscape. It is built half-a-mile nearer the Village than the old one, and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Alban's, October 26th, 1875. The style is Early Decorated; the Church consists of a nave with north porch, a chancel with semi-circular apse, and a tower containing a peal. of six bells, the gift of Mrs. Robinson, of Ayott Bury. There are sittings for 200 persons. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of E. Prodgers, Esq.; the value, 250 per annum.

The Village Schools are neat and commodious. The Village consists of only a few scattered farm-houses and cottages, but there is a handsome Rectory House, and a Mansion in a small Park, which used to be the Rectory, now called Ayott Bury. The population is 232; the number of acres, 1100.

Young Crawley, Guide to Hertfordshire, 1880

   
Extra Pictures (all 1930s)

The Old Horse and Jockey, Ayot Green

The Waggoners, Ayot Green

Post Office, Ayot Green

The Avenue, Ayot Green
 
Key Local Web Site
Ayot St Peter - The Parish Story
   
 

Selected Answers

FLINDALL, Ayot St Peter, Early 19th century
Chamberlins Farm, Welwyn & Ayot St Peter, circa 1680
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

Church & School, Ayot St Peter, Hertfordshire - by Alpha  

Church & School, Ayot

published by Alpha, St Albans

Posted Wheathampstead 1910 

Church, Ayot St Peter

published by Alpha, St Albans

 

 

  Parish Church, Ayot St Peter, Herts - post card by Alpha, St Albans
ayot-st-peter-church-int-draper  

Ayot St Peter Church
Published by G. Draper, Post Office, Ayot St Peter
circa 1904

George Draper, shopkeeper & smith, Post Office, (Kelly's 1902)

The rector since 1872 was the Rev. Henry Jephson

Interior view of the Church of Ayot St Peter, Herts, Destroyed by Lightning

The Pictorial World

August 1st, 1874

 


Ayot Green
Published by F Gayler, Ayot Post Office
Photo by A. G. Bishop
Posted 1910

Ayot Green, Welwyn Garden City

Ayot Green is a pretty village on the Great North Road on the western boundary of Welwyn Garden City. Opposite the Green an old coaching inn stood in former times.

Note the young man at the village pump

Ayot Green

Published by E. Ashby, Welwyn

Back suggests circa 1905

  ayot-green-ashby
     
Permanent Link   www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/links/ayot-st-peter.htm
January 2013   Page reformated with new menu
May 2014   Ashby link added