St John the Baptist

Aldbury

 


Card by C. Dickens, Aldbury, early 20th century


Lord Verney - 16th century church brass
from A Hertfordshire Valley


Card by Muncey, The Stores, Aldbury, posted 1911, printed circa 1905

A book of Memorial Inscriptions is available   ~ ~ ~ War Memorial (web site)

Aldbury, a parish in the hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Tring, containing 676 inhabitants. The Living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and the diocese of Lincoln, rated in the King's books at 20.8.6., and in the patronage of the late Earl of Bridgewater. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure in the early style of English architecture, and contains an alter-tomb of an armed knight, in a recumbent posture, and his lady, also another, with brasses, to a knight and his lady, and their nine sons and three daughters, both executed in the richest style of ancient sculpture. This village is pleasantly situated at the foot of the Chiltern hills, the summits of which are crowned with thick plantations. There are three tenements for the residence of five widowers and widows, with an annual sum for keeping them in repair, the gift of an unknown benefactor. [Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831]

 
Aldbury Church
View from Church
 

Clergy associated with the Church from the Clergy of the Church of England Database.

Harcourts Chapel & Tomb, Aldbury Church

[no publisher or date]

A lovely old church most beautifully kept churchyard... Mrs Dorothy Ward, the writer, is buried here.

 

Aldbury Rectory

Loosley & Sons, Stationers, Berkhamsted

Posted in Dunstable, 1905

We went through this village yesterday. It is from 8 to 10 miles from here.

 

Known in colour posted 1906

 

Church Guide

"The church of Aldbury was granted to Missenden Abbey by William de Bocland about 1200. By the end of the thirteenth century it had probably assumed most of the features seen today. Much of the worn Totternhoe stonework has been replaced by Bath stone, however, both internally and externally; and it should be remembered that medieval churches contained no pews, and the walls would originally have been covered with brightly covered with brightly painted illustrations from the scriptures.

The 16th century brass rubbing on the cover shows the three daughters of Sir Ralph Verney and his wife Elizabeth. 


There is a St John the Baptist web page on Tring Team Parish web site which includes a number of photographs, a plan of the church, and the usual information about church life in the village as it is today.

 
The Rev Richard Mountford Wood (born London, 1811) was curate of Aldbury (1851, 1861 census) and rector (1871 and 1881). His wife was Fanny Oddie (born London, 1824), the daughter of Henry Hoyle Oddie. They married t Shenley 3 May 1849).    See Finch/Royd Marriage at Aldenham, 1867.

Some Modern (2007) Photographs

This altar tomb and monument to Sir Robert Whittingham and his lady was brought from Ashridge in 1575.

A late 18th century tombstone. The inscription is no longer visible, and the face and wings of the angel are only just visible through the lichen. This is typical of tombstones of this age.

 

War Memorials

Aldbury War Memorial

 
 

Aldbury in the Snow

Boxing Day 2010

   
August 2010   Set up as separate page
October 2011   Pictures of War Memorial
January 2012   Links to extra PCs`
December 2012   Clergy list added
January 2013   Richard Mountford Wood reference added