London Colney

 

ABOUT three and a-half miles from St. Alban's is a Village called London Colney, which was ecclesiastically formed in 1826 out of the Parishes of Ridge and Shenley, and St. Peter and St. Stephen, St. Alban's. The Church is in the centre of the Village, and is of modern erection, dedicated to St. Peter; it will contain about 750 persons. It has a handsome stained-glass window at the east end, and an organ; the only mural monument is one to the memory of Mary, wife of William Twainson, F.R.S., who died 12th February, 1835. The living is a Vicarage, in the patrona.ge of the Countess of Caledon, of the value of 120 per annum. There are excellent National Schools. 200 was left by the late J. Jacques, Esq., the interest of which was to be distributed annually in bread to the poor and the Rev. E. Venables left 100, the interest to be given annually in blankets.

The population of London Colney is 843; the number of acres, 2000.

Young Crawley, Guide to Hertfordshire, 1880


River Colne, London Colney, St Albans
card back circa 1904


The Church, Napsbury Hospital - undated postcard
For more postcard views while it was being used as a Military hospital in WW1 see Napsbury

  This ecclesiastical parish was created in 1826 out of parts of the civil parishes of St Stephens, St Peter, Ridge and Shenley.

The Swan Inn

Napsbury Hospital

Topic: The Long Stay Hospitals of the St Albans area.
Book: The Book of London Colney
Wikipedia Entry
Parish Council Web Site
   
 

Selected Answers

REYNOLDS, St Albans area, 19th century
FROST/KIFF, London Colney, 1851-1881
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

Main Street, London Colney, Herts circa 1905  

Main Street, London Colney

No 8 (no publisher)

Back circa 1905

Posted 1910

Beer & Brewing

The public houses in London Colney and Colney Heath in 1854

(Craven)

 

Atkins Edmond, victualler, "Bell," and coal dealer

Bradsbury John, victualler, "Golden Lion"

Clark John, beer retailer, Colney Heath

Chiffen William, victualler, "Bull and Butcher"

Dickinson John, victualler, "Swan," and shoemaker

Fowler George, victualler, "Bull" Inn, and farmer

Fusedale George William, victualler, "King's Arms," and tailor

Hall James, maltster

Janes Thomas, victualler, "King's Head"

Kenney Jeremiah, victualler, "Cock," Colney Heath

Reynolds William, victualler, "Queen's Head," Colney Heath, St Peter

Rowson Samuel, victualler, "White Lion," and dog breaker

Skinner John, victualler, "White Horse"

Smith Emily, victualler, "Green Dragon"

Wing Matthew, victualler, "Cross Keys," and pork butcher

According to Hertfordshire Inns & Public Houses the Bell, the Bull, the Golden Lion, the Green Dragon, the Kings Head, the White Horse (later called the Pear and Partridge) and the White Lion were still open in 1995.

 

Robert Bull writes: Of the pubs listed in 1995, The Bull, The Golden Lion & The Green Dragon still trade unchanged. The Pear & Partridge reverted to being The White Horse in 2011 (hooray!). The Colney Fox (formerly The Watersplash) is missing from the above list [It didn't open until about the 1940's]. Those five are all that remain. The Kings Head closed in 2008, was subsequently demolished and replaced by flats in 2010. The White Lion was converted to flats in 2011/12. Finally, The Bell was converted to a McDonalds in the 1990s

     
March 2010   PC of River Colne
April 2014   Page reformatted and new material added
May 2014   Note from Robert Bull