Tring Church

St Peter & St Paul

 

Tring Church
Rush & Warwick, Art Publishers, Bedford
Posted 1908

The gateway leads to the Vicarage.


Similar view by
S. G Payne & Son
posted 1905

The following text comes from Young Crawley's Guide to Hertfordshire which describes the church as it was in 1880. There was a major restoration and rebuilding shortly after this was written.

The Church at Tring is a large and handsome structure, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul; it is in the Perpendicular style, and was built about 1450. It has a noble tower embattled, with a corner turret and a small spire; the body of the Church is of flint, and has an embattled parapet with clerestory windows. It has undergone a thorough renovation; the plaster has been removed from the walls, and the flint and stone facings have been restored where required. There is a fine ornamental porch, and in the tower a ring of six bells. The interior of the Church is imposing. The nave is separated from the aisles by six pointed arches on each side, rising from clustered columns. There is a curious timber roof; the cross beams are supported at each end by carved wood figures, some of them grotesque, and not appropriate to a religious building; a monkey, dog, bear, and a pig, are represented amongst other objects. Very handsome stained-glass windows embellish the east and west ends, and the windows of the north aisles are also of stained-glass. The large windows are divided by mullions; the arch between the nave and chancel is very fine, and there is a beautifully carved reredos over the communion table.

Tring Church
Chadwick's Series
High Street, Tring
Posted 1905

see earlier post card

On the north side of the communion table, is a superb and costly monument of black marble and alabaster, to the memory of Sir William Gore, Knight, who, it states, was "third Lord Mayor of London of his house and family," and died in 1707, aged 64 years and also to his wife Dame Elizabeth Gore, who died in 1705, aged 52. The knight and his lady are represented in reclining attitudes, on either side of a funereal urn. He is attired in his gown and chain, with wig, laced coat, and ruffles; and she, in a very handsome dress of the period. Both figures, with all the adjuncts, are most beautifully and elaborately carved. Their many virtues are duly recorded in very long inscriptions, on the lower part of the monument. Against the south wall is another monument, with a tablet and a medallion to John Gore, Esq., son of the above, who died in 1765, aged 74; and his wife, the daughter of Sir Jeremy Sambrook, who died in 1763, aged 74. Their only son is also interred beneath. Chauncy mentions a "fair monument" to the memory of Sir Henry Anderson, of Pendley, with a long Latin inscription; and there are several slabs within the altar rails, and in different parts of the Church, to other members of the family of Anderson, whose residence, a fine old Mansion called Pendley Manor, was pulled down many years since. There is also a stone with a very long inscription to Mrs. Elizabeth Guy, whose husband, Henry Guy, held office under Charles II. and James II., and was for many years a Member of Parliament, of whom Tring Park was purchased by Sir William Gore. There is a font, highly enriched. This fine Church is a very interesting specimen of ancient architecture, and now the renovation is completed, is well deserving a visit. The living is a Vicarage, value 300, and residence. There are several excellent Dissenting Chapels in Tring, belonging to the Baptists and other denominations.

The Friends of Tring Church Heritage

Preserving the Heart of Tring for future generations to enjoy

The "FOTCH" web site includes useful information on the history and architecture of the church, some present day photographs (with the suggestion of more to follow).

If your ancestors lived in Tring why not support FOTCH!!!

The 1881 census lists many stone masons, etc., who were undoubtedly involved in the restoration of the church.

Snow in April!

Parish Church, Tring
April 24th, 1908
S. Dickens
Posted 19 May, 1908

My own daughter, Belinda, was born in Tring on a similar snowy day, on 14 April, 1966

See names of
Stone Masons working on the restoration in 1881

See

Some 19th century views

 

The New (1853) Cemetery

 

Church Goods in 1552

 

Tring Church, Interior
S. G Payne & Son, Aylesbury
circa 1903

The screen, which had been added in 1899, has now been moved to the West end of the church, to provide a doorway at the base of the tower. 

tring-church-war-shrine  

Our Roll of Honour
Short obituary -----
taken from the
Tring Parish Magazine

Tring's War Shrine
Placed on the Gore Memorial - no publisher information
 
See the War Memorial in the churchyard

The Vicarage, Tring
Rush & Warwick, Art Publishers, Bedford
Posted 1906

The former VICARAGE is picturesque gabled Tudor of 1828, with a fine collection of decorative chimneys (which were specially designed for Charles Lacy, the incumbent). Additions of 1873. By the churchyard a very pretty neo-Tudor brick and stone GATEHOUSE. The house has been given new life as SUTTON COURT, renovated and converted into offices by Melvin, Lansley & Mark, 1971-5. A new office wing has been added, and next to it a bold and attractive PARISH HALL with sharply angled roofs. By the same firm the new VICARAGE, further N, two storeys, of brick, with a staircase drum separating the study from the living quarters. [Pevsner's Hertfordshire, 1977]

For an example of a Confirmation and Admission to Holy Communion Certificate from 1910 see Thomas, Tring, c1895-1946

See The Overflow Cemetery opened in 1853

Why not visit the Tring Team Parish web site

Page updated July 2008